2001 525i BMW Brakes

Can someone tell me what type and size of hex wrench I need or Torx wrench socket size to release the brake calipers from the rotors so I can change my
pads? I removed the small plastic caps and tried a 1/4" hex wrench but I can't see inside to tell if it's Torx or Hex type. Can anybody help?
Robert King

I'm pretty certain you'll find a 7mm hexagon key fits perfectly. Mike.
Thanks Mike
I've been told that the I shoulder replace the rotors and sensors when I change out the pads. Is that really necesssary, the rotors look fine but being I have these all apart now would be the time to do it? Robert King

You need to measure the thickness and compare that to the minimum you'll find stamped on the disc hub.
--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

What Dave said.
The rotors have a number stamped on them, this is the minimum thickness specification. If the rotors are worn below this number, then need to be replaced.
As a general rule, you will go through two sets of front brake pads for each set of rear pads. And, you will go through three sets of pads for each rotor. This assumes you replace the pads before they are completely worn down and do damage to the rotors. It also assumes normal driving behavior, race driving or aggressive behavior can cause these general rules of thumb to change dramatically.

3 sets of pads per rotor - on a BMW?
Tom

Just a general rule of thimb, your mileage may vary.