2001 7 series

I'm interested purchasing a 2001 7 series L.
Which series should I consider?

Uhh. You've already decided upon a 7-series long wheelbase model.
Perhaps you mean: which *motor* should I buy. In the US you only get two choices: the 4.4l V8 and the 5l V12 (and I'm not sure the V12 was offered in '01). Now, if you're in Europe, the choices are greater: a 3.5l V8 was available I believe, and possibly even the 3.0l I6.
Floyd
If he's in Europe, there's also has the option of a great turbodiesel too:
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/e38.html
I live in the US planning to purchase a 2001 7 series. Wanted suggestions on specific 7 series models.
What model and engine would the group recommend and what is the difference of a iL versus a Li?

Buy a 740i. The L means long wheelbase (and another 150lbs.) The placement of the L is only due to the ad poster not knowing what's right.
Floyd