2001 bmw 525 radio removal

I'm trying to install a direct fm adapter in my 2001 525 for my sirius radio. Can anyone tell me how to remove the factory radio so i can get to the antenna? Thanks.

Reply to
wahstyle

2001 ought to be a DIN style system. If you look at the right and left edges of the radio faceplate you should spot a pair of rectangular notches. You slip a pair of removal tools into the notches and the radio should slide straight out. If the unit is a "double DIN" you might have four notches to unlatch...
Reply to
daytripper

I don't see these notches. Do i need to remove any trim peices to get at these notches? And do I need a special tool to slip into the notches, or can I get by with a screwdriver or other common tool? Thanks.

Reply to
wahstyle

Assuming this is a US 525 - these instructions are totally and completely wrong. But - that's what you get for asking on the Internet.

The actual radio on an E39 without navigation - lives behind the flip-up door above what look like the real radio controls. The controls are actually the MID - Multiple Instrument Display - panel/control... which serves quite a few different devices in the car (radio, phone, OBC).

To remove the radio:

  1. Remove the MID: To do this - remove the volume knob, look for a small hole. Try different size allen keys until you get one that catches, turn
45 degrees clockwise whilst pulling on the shaft of the volume control. The MID will pivot out from the left side. You can leave it dangling by the wires.
  1. Remove the radio: Look for the two holes now revealed along the top edge of the MID opening. Put your T-10 Torx driver into these holes and loosen the screws (yes - it's TORX not Allen). Once loose, pull the radio cassette/CD player assembly forwards. There are locking cables on the rear. Disconnect as necessary.

The complication is - the connector for the antenna is not a standard US sized connector. It's a Euro connector (go figure eh?) and you'll need an adapter to hook the Sirius dodad up to it. Good luck with that.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Reply to
admin

So, It's a _standard_ one. Definitely. BMW is European and they deal with metric standard .......

Reply to
frischmoutt

Thanks so much for the detailed info!

Reply to
wahstyle

I've bought the adapter needed and noticed that they look simlar to extensions near the cd changer hookup in the trunk. Are these direct connections to the radio and antenna, and can i connect my sirius direct fm connecter to these feeds?

Reply to
wahstyle