2001 E39 530i, chanigng brakes - follow on

Or, with the digital variety, you close them, set them to Zero, then open them to fit over the item to be measured and close them again, and extract the measurement from the digital readout.

YOU introduced vernier calipers to the discussion, and said that the use of this tool would require some manner of shim to measure around the lip of the brake rotor being measured. A vernier caliper would most certainly require this sort of adjustment to the proper use because they are not well suited for this application. There are calipers with curved jaws that can reach around the lip on a brake rotor, and a micrometer is an even better tool to use. (actually, I use a micrometer because I have one, but it might not be the superior tool to use, it's just the one I have. It's hands down better than a vernier caliper though.)

When a suitable mic can be found for $20 (USD), there is very little justification for not having one. When the make or break measurement of of the brake rotor is a matter of thousandths of an inch, shimming the wrong tool with a twist drill, then subracting the shim amount from the measurement just seems silly to me.

Well, if one possesses a mic and doesn't know how to use it, I can't help much. That guy should take the rotors off and take them to the shop to see if they are still serviceable.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's pretty good. I'll use my micrometer.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

[snip ASCII]

First, when using ASCII art on news, you should use a fixed font. Then any other fixed font will reproduce it correctly.

But the trouble is the lip of rust and unworn metal round the edge of a worn disc is likely to be something like 5mm in 'radius' and up to 2mm thick, not a 'burr'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm well aware of how these work. Now perhaps you'd say how you'd use then to measure the thickness of a worn disc?

They are perfectly suitable *if* you use known thickness spacers to get round the lip of unworn steel and rust at the edge of every other than new disc.

[Sigh] [Again] And just how do you remove the curved jaw caliper to measure its gap?
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With 2 mm high, it means that the disk thickness is 4 mm lower than max. The disks are ready to be trashed !

I agree considering the radius.

"Dave Plowman (News)" a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

Reply to
zantafio

I wouldn't. I would use my micrometer.

You position the calipers so you can read the numbers?

This is moot really, the micrometer works the best.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland