2001 E39 530i, chanigng brakes - follow on

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

I wouldn't. I would use my micrometer.

You position the calipers so you can read the numbers?
This is moot really, the micrometer works the best.
[...]

wider ^^^^^^^^^

Not necessarily because the vernier caliper jaws are tooled in order the burs which are often present on the edge of a sheet don't touch the jaws. Here there aren't burs but a small rim (lip) instead. Normally the gap present at the bottom of the jaws is more than 2 to 2.5 mm. Large enough to compensate the rim heights
There is another reason for this tooling: when closed, the jaws wouldn't be parallel if the corners were in contact.
|----------------------------------------------------------------| | ______________| | _____ |----------------| \ | | / \ | | / \ __| |__/
And of course, the jaws aren't parallel !! Don't blame me, it's ASCII ;-)))
Regards

That's pretty good. I'll use my micrometer.

[snip ASCII]

First, when using ASCII art on news, you should use a fixed font. Then any other fixed font will reproduce it correctly.
But the trouble is the lip of rust and unworn metal round the edge of a worn disc is likely to be something like 5mm in 'radius' and up to 2mm thick, not a 'burr'.
--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

With 2 mm high, it means that the disk thickness is 4 mm lower than max. The disks are ready to be trashed !
I agree considering the radius.

J Strickland wrote:

He's not talking about the brake calipers. He's talking about the *measuring* calipers. You know, those things that look like dividers (or a compass?) but with curved legs. You would need to spread the jaws of the calipers to get them over the ridge and of course then you lose the gap you are trying to measure before you can apply it to a scale.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here: