2001 E39 Rubbing Noise when Turning

Hi i have a 2001 525i and as i'm driving down the road i hear a noise that sounds like something is spinning and hitting something. it's sounds like a whoop whopp whopp whoop. The sound becomes very noticeable when i make a left or right turn. This was happening piror to me changing the 4 pads and rotors. I'm not exactly sure where to start looking. At times it sounds like it's coming from the front but I can't tell. Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks

Jason

2001 525i 129,000 Highway Miles
Reply to
jason marsico

You are describing the noises made by a wheel bearing. I would not expect a wheel bearing to be worn out on that car yet, but it could be.

You have to pull the tires off and look for obvious stuff that is not supposed to be there. Lift the car and spin the tire and listen for noise. Hold the tire by the sides and top & bottom and see if it moves. Then take the tire off and inspect.

This is one of those jobs that if you can't stumble on the cause within a couple of minutes, you will probably need a service center. I's be taking this opportunity to form a relationship with a non-dealer service center in your area. Pull out the Yellow Pages ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Have you fitted larger tyres than recommended?

I got a bit of tree caught in one side once - it made quite a bit of noise until I extricated it.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

No I get aftermarket tires but they are the same size as recommended in the cars manual. I am due for 4 new tires as that will be taken care of by the end of the month. I'll hope that it corrects some of the issue. I will keep that in mind when I purchase my next 4

Reply to
jason marsico