2002 530i manual pricing

I've been trying to locate a 2002 530i manual in the south Florida area, and found that:
1. They are extremely hard to find 2. They are much more expensive than the automatics.
And I mean, a lot more expensive. I'm finding autos for around $25-30K, whereas the manual goes for $35K with similar mileage. That's nuts! Is it just the supply and demand thing that causes this or was the manual in fact more expensive when new for some reason?
Thanks,
Pete
Pete wrote:

No. The manuals are cheaper. Most potential 5 series drivers in the US (Florida included) prefer the automatic transmissions. Supply and demand drive the price up on those models. Also, the initial cost of the auto was higher. This is all good for folks (like us) who would prefer a manual.
http://www.nadaguides.com /
Keep looking... you'll find the right one.
--
-Fred W

"Fred W" wrote

Good if you buy new and sell used. Not good if you're looking to buy a used one (like me). :)
Cheers,
Pete
I can't tell if that one has a manual or not. Maybe you can see better in the picture. It doesn't mention automatic in the listing.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/138935383.html
Watch for flood cars showing up.

    epbrown -- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Pete wrote:

I think you missed my point. Since the original price is lower, so too will be the resale value, compounded byu the fact that the manual is "undesireable" to the majority of buyers. So much the better for us...
Even though I could easily buy a new one, I am a used car buyer too. It's just a matter of economics and priorities...
--
-Fred W

"Fred W" wrote

Well... that would be the correct logic, but as you see in the examples I provided, the used manual versions are more expensive then the automatics because they are so scarce. Or is there another explanation for what I'm seeing?
Pete
Generally an auto trans brings with it a premium price (It was a $1200 option on the E-39). OTOH, the scarcity of the manual trans cars may be the controlling influence. Another thing to consider. Manual trans cars are rarely lease cars and may be subject to more meticulous PM than their rent it and forget it brethren.
Desirability, and therefore price, in the used car market is a funny thing. No better demonstration exists than the Barrett Jackson auction. 70-71 Hemi Cudas and Challengers were getting $500,000 or better. Certainly rare and certainly "muscular" but rarer and more interesting cars of the era brought far less.
R / John

Pete wrote:

Yes, I think your sample size is just too small to make that conclusion.
It also may be a local phenomenon where only "enthusiasts" own the manual transmission cars and since they are the ones that maintain their cars better (and keep records, etc.), so they are asking more money from other likely "enthusists" for those cars...
--
-Fred W

"Fred W" wrote

You're probably right. Looking on ebay in other parts of the country, there is more choice and more reasonable prices.
I found a CPO 2003 530i manual with 30K miles with premium and sport pkg for $31.5K. While this is most likely still out of my range, I'll keep looking.
What do the premium and sport packages comprise of on this car? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Thanks,
Pete