2004 330i Sport using oil

Page 1 of 2
My 330i M Sport is using a lot of oil, my local BMW garage says it's within tolerance but I know it's at least pretty close if not outside but can't
prove it. BMW's tolerance for oil use is one seventh of a litre in every 1000 Km. (620 miles)
Their suggestion was to ensure the level was always at maximum and it's true that if I check the oil at least weekly and top up to Max it doesn't use so much. However let it drop, not do a weekly oil check, go on a long journey over a few days and it drops quickly. I'm wondering if the oil is overheating, but hasn't that engine got an oil cooler? Anyone else suffering the same problem?
Weekly oil checks & topups! Not done those since the Mark 3 Cortina and never in any of our BMWs before.
--
Regards
Bob H

within
true
so
oil
-----
Hey, Bob, Have a look on Google and search 330i overheating. I've been reading up on these a bit and found even Bavarian Autosport has a new device to help cool 'em down. Maybe BMW is getting ready to issue a bulletin about the "running too hot" of the 330i. Oil consumption might be a player, too. That does sound like a bit more than they should consume. Do you have a small leak somewhere that's out of sight?
Bill in Omaha '86 535i
"Bill" wrote after...

No, no leak, not a spot on the drive. It's maintained by the main agent so I would hope they would spot any leaks and fix them, especially after I complained about the oil consumption. The fact that the consumption is worse after long fast drives is what makes me think there is an oil cooling problem, pottering about town it doesn't seem to use so much.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Hmm.... I know it might sound silly but what oil are you using. The usual stuff nowadays is the thinnest you can get away with to reduce emissions but can I suggest that you change the oil and filter (go to KwikFit- they are good and cheaper than any main stealer) and get the oil and filter changed (30 or thereabouts) and use Mobil 1 10 - 40 and see what the usage is like.
It won't damage the engine and summer is here anyway. If do different then you have only had an extra oil change which can't be bad can it?
Steve
My 330ci did the same. I have reduced the consumption by using Motul 5w30 BMW Specific LL01 - http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/pdf/motul/BMWSpecificLL01_5W-30.pdf
"Pashlipops" wrote

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/pdf/motul/BMWSpecificLL01_5W-30.pdf
I use Castrol SLX LL04 as recommended and sold only by BMW dealers. It's SAE 0W-30, ACEA A3/B3/B4/C3. BMW Longlife - 04 (Longlife - 01) as it says on the bottle.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

There is no such thing. Either it's not M1 or it's not 10w-40. Did you mean 0w-40 by any chance?
Pete

Perhaps it's 5 - 40 M1 but NOT the super water thin 0 - 40 M1
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

The "water thin" Mobil 1 0W40 is the ONLY grade of Mobil oil that is certified as meeting BMW Long Life spec.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx
Oh and FWIW, a 5W40 and 0W40 would be virtually the same viscosty at normal operating temperature. The 5W40 would be slightly thicker when cold (obviously both oils are thicker cold than hot) which by the way is not a good thing.
--
-Fred W

"Fred W" wrote

Exactly.
Pete

Mobil 1 is a brand, not a spec.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-30.aspx
--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-30.aspx
What he's trying to say is there is no Mobil 1 10W40. He is right.
--
-Fred W

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Correct. But it doesn't change the fact that M1 does not exist in 10w-40 grade. There used to be M1 EP 10w-40 on the US market for a very brief time, but even that was canned by ExxonMobil.
Pete
"Bob Hobden" wrote

Actually, it is quite normal for an engine to consume more oil when operating at higher rpms (like during your fast drives). Many cars, especially the german ones do this.
With that said, how much exactly per 1000 miles would you say you're using? I haven't found it anywhere in your post. You just wrote "a lot" and then gave the factory tolerance figure.
Also, how many miles/kilometers do you have on the engine?
Pete

Got to admit my E38 740i is 12 years old now and, although it had a new engine @ 80K, it does not use a drop of oil between changes. Car now has 198K on the clock and has only ever had Mobil 1 10-40 in it and oil and filter changed at the red light indication.
It's a shame that BMW and all other makers give such low tolerances. I have heard that if you THRASH them hard for a few thousand miles the oil consumption reduces as the engine gets really bed in but using it as a shopping car or on the school run doesn't do it many favours.
Ford and Vauxhall (GM) have similar low specs for oil burning don't know about Mercedes - I am sure someone here can enlighten us to that.
Steve

Bob, I'm a bit confused by the BMW spec you quoted. 1/7 liter per 1,000km would be one liter every 7,000km, or about 1 quart per 4,000 miles. Since most auto manufacturers hedge with a one quart per 1,000 mile "normal" consumption figure, this would seem to be relatively low oil use. Are you sure that's all the oil you are adding?
Actually, 1 qt/4,000 miles is about the consumption of my BMW boxer motorcycle, although (after break-in) I've never had to add any oil to any BMW cars I've owned between the 8,000 mile changes.
Tom K.
"Tom K." wrote after

According to BMW GB their tolerance is 1/7th of a litre per 1000Km or, as you say, 1 Litre per 7000Km which equates to 1 Litre per 4,350 miles.
My 330i has done 39,911 miles since new and having done some checking I can find receipts for 2 litres of oil since the last oil service at 29773, had half a litre to start with and still have about a fifth of a litre left so it's used approx. 2.3 litre of oil in 10138 miles or the equivalent of 1 litre in 4407 miles. So it is just within BMW tolerance (but way outside mine).
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

1 litre per 4000 miles is by no means excessive. Lots and lots of cars use more oil than that.
Didn't you say that you top off the oil frequently? As long as the oil level lies between the two marks on the dipstip, all is well. Over here, it takes one quart of oil to raise the oil level from the low mark to the high mark.
And, make certain that you do not check the oil level shortly after the car shuts off. There can be quite a bit of oil in the heads, etc., that will eventually get down to the oil pan. Bad things happen as a result of too much oil anyway.
Jim
"Jim" wrote

It's very excessive considering other BMW's I've owned that didn't take any oil between services after the first one. It takes more than my 1986 Landrover 90 and that has a total loss lubrication system, pour it in the top and it drips out the bottom. :-) Yes, I have to keep it at Max level or, if it starts to drop, it drinks more and more, if I didn't keep it topped up it would certainly be outside BMW tolerance. The oil BMW recommend here is Castrol SLX LL-04, a 0W-30 Longlife so perhaps it's too thin/light. It's why I'm thinking that it's overheating and evaporating, recent exhaust gas analysis for the MOT shows no sign of it burning oil although the inside of the exhaust pipe is black not grey.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

My M3 starts to use oil once the mileage goes over about 7000 since the last oil change. If I change the oil then the consumption becomes almost zero.