2004 BMW 545I engine failure

Has anyone had an engine go bad? I first heard a tapping noise. I thought it sounded like a valve. My local dealer has inspected the engine, spoke to BMW NA and Germany. They have agreed to replace the
engine. They boroscoped the engine and found damage in the block. I have not gotten the full story yet but a bad bearing is the story so far. I only have 19,500 miles and about 20 months on the car. I commend BMW for standing behind their product. Has anyone had to replace an engine of this type before? Did you get a remanufatured engine? New engine? How is the warranty handled? Do you get a new warranty on the engine for 4yr/50,000 or just the remainer of the original coverage? I would appreicate you sharing your experiences.
My engine is an apples-and-oranges comparison to yours, but I was closing in on 220,000 miles on mine when the old lady made a left turn in front of me.

And your point is?

Sorry, my motor is the M50, but my general point is that BMW motors are basically very strong, and the OP's experience with his current motor should be an anomoly not the common experience.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

I think the poster was concerned he might be on the front end of another fiasco like what happened with the E46 M3 engines.
--
-Fred W

Malt: Yes, that is a concern. Is this going to happen to again but out of warranty this time. Should I expect the warranty to begin again at replacement of the "new" engine? Hasn't this block been in use for some time? Thanks, Hunter
Jeff:
Sorry to hear about the left turn. This is the first BMW product that I purchased. I have/had owned BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus and Porsche cars and never had anything like this happen. If there is a car that I am hard on is the 911 which never had a problem like this. What do you think about resale value without the original engine and the notes in the service records? What should I expect from the time table of my warranty? Thanks for the insight. Hunter