2005 325i Sedan

Hello everyone,
I've been a faithful Honda owner for the past 10 years. I've been doing repairs on just about everything with the exception of a
timing belt so I am fairly handy at repairing my cars and like the ease of how everything has been done by Honda in the past. Having sold my Integra last week, I'm looking at my next car to buy. The problem with the recent Hondas is that the Accord has become larger than an SUV and it's too big for me. While the Civic would work for me, I can't get over the ugly interior dash that Honda slapped together. So I'm looking at a used 325i at the moment. I like how well the leather holds up even after 4 years compared to Acura. I've had a look at a few sites and the maintenance doesn't seem that difficult, so I would like comments from the group. Also does anyone have a site where I can look up prices on OEM parts to get a feel on how much more they will cost compared to Honda parts?
Thanks in advance,
Nick

1. The leather will last forever if you keep it oiled, and it will crack if you do not. I have a 1974 BMW with original seats that are just fine.
2. Bavarian Autosport is a good source for OEM parts. Note that for the most part, the BMW parts will cost more than the Honda parts, but if you do the work yourself, you'll find that a lot of jobs are much easier to do on the BMW than on the Honda.
3. The Hondas of the nineties look like the BMWs of the Eighties. I keep meaning to put a Civic badge on the back of my '85 and see if anybody notices. --scott

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Try http://www.realoem.com/bmw /

Ulf
"Ulf" wrote

And when you're actually ready to buy, check out www.rockauto.com - the have good pricing on a lot bmw parts.
Pete
Pete wrote:

Do you have any personal experience buying from them? Now, with the ridiculously low dollar it actually makes sense buying European parts from the US even though I'm in Europe...

Ulf
"Ulf"wrote

They're well regarded - I've read about them on several forums and this newsgroup. Haven't heard any complaints. I just ordered a bunch of filters from them (air, oil, cabin), and am planning to order brake rotors and pads in the near future.
I'm just wondering if it'll still be worth it for you once you factor in the int'l shipping charges plus possible import customs/duties.
Pete
Pete wrote:

I need new injectors and an air flow meter, among other things, and buying online from the US, including shipping and VAT, I'll still save at least 50% compared to the prices at my local parts store. If I told you what an AFM would cost in USD you wouldn't believe me...

Ulf
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

That car may not have real leather. It might be "leatherette" which looks amazingly similar. I've had it in loaner and it's difficult to tell the difference. See if the owner has the original sticker or check with BMW - running the VIN will tell them.
Dan

Do both hold up well? I'm probably looking at the leatherette since the price of the car will be a little cheaper.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:36:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Don't cut the pennies - on resale it worth a lot more then showroom extra price.
It's more durable, more comfortable, doesn't crack, smells nice and you have probably eaten the interior of the seat at a local McDonalds!
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Both hold up very well, although the leather requires more care than the vinyl. You need to oil it every six months or so, like any leather interior.
The vinyl is about as good as vinyl can get, although it is still sticky and uncomfortable in hot weather. The leather is much more comfortable in the heat.
To be honest, I find cloth seats more comfortable than either in both extreme hot and cold. --scott

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

I don't know. It wasn't an option on my '07 X5 4.8. I would have opted for it if there was a decent savings since they are so similar.
Dan