2006 325 warranty... what gives?

Page 3 of 4

Which is what I suspected after your first post.
You're some form of trawl.
--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:18:52 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Which explains why you decided to respond so many times, right?
heh...

BMW owners try to help others.
Enjoy your Lexus.
--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:56:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Some of your responses were helpful at first, but then later you decided to join the fray of whiners.

No, I simply asked if you'd contacted BMW and asked them to send you a copy of the warranty. It's what any sensible person would do.
--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery.*

Choder wrote:

As several posters have pointed out, in the US the first 4yr/50k is covered by a bumper to bumper warranty and scheduled maintenance. You shouldn't have to spend on anything other than gas and tires. I must be one of those with bad luck because I've had several things go wrong - fuel sending units were replace twice, ignition coils had to be replaced, warped rotors needed replacing, and there were 3 or 4 bulb failures. The only thing that I paid the dealer for was an alignment because I had a steering vibration problem.
After 50k, for the original owner, BMW has started selling an extended _service_ warranty which covers scheduled maintenance including stuff like brakes and rotors. The dealer should have more information about this plan and what it will cost for the new cars. It covers the car to 6yr/100k. BMW also sells an extended warranty valid for 6yr/100k, but it's not as comprehensive as the original warranty - there is quite a long list of exclusions, e.g. stereo is not covered under this. At the time I bought the warranty, the dealer didn't have too much information on it, but I bought it anyway. BMW then sent me an information packet on this and I had 30 days to cancel and get a refund. (I'm not sure if this is because it's a California law, but I did have the option to cancel.)
As far as I'm concerned, the pleasure of driving a BMW (even when compared to Acura, Lexus, Infiniti which I test drove at the time I bought the car) far outweighs the pain. If I had to choose again, I'd still pick the BMW.
Anoop
I know I have broken the rules by removing the rest of the post but it was getting too much.
I can't believe you are asking about warranty before sitting in/seeing/driving the car.
What happens if the nice man at BMW sends you the warranty details, and you like the terms but then go and look at the car drive it and decide you don't like it.
If your response is you have already driven it then maybe you should have asked about the warranty during the test drive.
A BMW will cost more than a Nissan! It may also cost moreto run than a Nissan!
It MAy also develop more problems than a Nissan!
BUT it will always be a better more enjoyable car to drive than a Nissan!!!
IF your decision is based purely on logic and running costs of the vehicle the nyou should buy a Toyota Prius
If like 80% of us decisions such as this are based on emotion then the BMW will always win
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:31:56 +0000 (UTC), "Scott" <scott251170not

Then maybe you have an anger management problem. Tried prozac?

What a moronic thing to say. Sitting in, seeing and driving the car is of no value to me at all if it falls apart in 10k miles.

That's fine. It could happen. I dont understand your question here. There are a lot of other things that could get in the way of the deal happening. But I've already said that I place a huge emphasis on reliability and I don't like the fact that BMW is being elusive about their warranty information.

You're just not paying attention. I already said I am not going near the dealership until I have a copy of the warranty details.

Not necessarily. Maybe a fully equipped BMW will cost more than a fully equipped Nissan, but BMW is well known for overcharging for options. Besides I only mentioned Nissan because they put their warranty information online. Infiniti has their warranty as a downloadable PDF file as well. If you are going to start making comparisons, you should compare BMW to Infiniti.

Why? Inferior engineering? If this is the case, tell me exactly why I should buy an inferior car?

Again, use your brain for a second and draw a fair comparison here. Infiniti is Nissans direct competitor for BMW. The G5 is a formidable opponent to the 3 series.

You are once again jumping to conclusions. Did you get far in school? I never said my decision is based "purely on logic and running costs". Obviously if I am looking at BMW, I am interested in a certain amount of performance/overall driving pleasure, but anyone with intelligence is also looking for value. I myself work in engineering, and for the most part I can tell you that well engineered machinery usually does not make its warranty a secret or require you to tolerate a sales pitch to get the information.

After some of the responses I've seen here, I am beginning to think that a good 20% of BMW owners have more dollars than sense, are enamoured by the BMW brand name (possibly due to a case of arrested development left over from the 80s'), and more and more I'm thinking that Lexus, Infiniti or Acura will be a better car for someone who wants both performance and value.

It may be of no value to *you*, but it's of value to others. If your attitude was widespread, noone would ever buy a Ferrari, for instance.

I've driven BMW's since 1978. They've been no more trouble, IMO, than any other of the cars I've owned. Less than our Isuzu Trooper, certainly less than our '91 Plymouth Voyager - crap engine, crap transmission, crap interior parts.
We now own two BMWs, 3 Toyotas and a Porsche. The Toyotas are just as expensive to have work done on them as the BMWs. But they're not nearly as fun to drive. Of course, one is a truck and they're never as much fun...
You're specifically looking at a 2006 325. My opinion is don't buy it. BMW - along with virtually every other manufacturer - has a history of teething problems with new models. The '92 E36 3 series had problems. The 1st year of the E46 did, too (although fewer.) the original X5 had problems.
The new 325i has a *brand new* engine. It's a new body. It's the first time idrive has been in a 3-series. A prescription for trouble. Wait a year, or buy something else. OTOH, you might not have any problems at all; lots of BMW drivers don't.
Floyd
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:35:28 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"

Right. I dont want a Ferrari either. Not reliable enough for a primary car. This would be what I drive to work in the mornings.

Isuzus and Plymouths are crap. Not a good reliability benchmark.

This is somewhat encouraging.. but, Im not looking here at how much it cost to get work done on them. I need to factor in how OFTEN it takes as well. As I mentioned in another post, just taking time off work to get these errands done costs me bigtime.

Very insightful post from the last quote on. Im getting the same initial impression. Im a little scared of a new model, especially when its a german make. Thanks for your input.
I agree, my last 2 vehicles have been new models. A 1999 VW New Jetta and 2003 BMW Z4. Both had problems. Both had recalls. I can tell you this though (and maybe it has more to do with the dealer than the car), BMW troubles were not as anoying. The dealer made the repairs timely and arranged transportation for me when needed. Dealing with VW was *much* more annoying, time consuming and just an overall bad experience.
I loved the Jetta, but hated the service. I went with the Z4 because I wanted more power and RWD. From 2.0(read 2.slow) to 3.0i made a huge difference. I love the Z4, but now that I am married I am trading that in too.
My car is being tranferred to the local deal at this time. I will pick it up later this week. Wondering what it is? Yes, another new model. A 2006 BMW 330i. The new engine (255hp) with 6-speed is almost as fast as my Z4 to 60 - 6.1s instead of 5.9s. Yes it is noticeable, no I don't care. The roominess for the family outwieghs the acceleration now that I have a family.
I'm rambling now...... Anyway - the point is all new model cars I have had do have more problems than usual. Knowing this I still bought another new model. Maybe I'm just an idiot. I am hoping BMW put enough thought, research, testing, money, whatever into developing their icon auto so that I won't have trouble with the new 3. Only time will tell.
Choder wrote:

Let us know how you like it. I've thought about replacing my 330xi, but we generally run cars until they die. I'm thinking that I may buy a diesel 3 or 5 series after they become available after 2007...
Floyd
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:11:38 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"

What do you think of your 330XI? I was thinking of getting a 2006 330XI when they come out this fall.

I have a 2001 330xi. Manual, sport package (seats, steering wheel and exterior fitments), cold weather package, leather. I have almost 75K miles on it; no engine/transmission problems. Only problems have been radio, passenger seat, short in driver's seat heater (they just recalled the 7 series for this IIRC, so it may be only a matter of time before the other models...) and a couple of other minor things that escape me at the moment.
I have snow tires (Michelin Pilot Alpine) for it; the original all-season performance tires are barely adequate. With the snows, the traction and handling/cornering is quite amazing. The new 330xi has the xDrive system I believe, which should add even more performance above the 34/66 constant split which mine has. Right now I have a set of performance "summer" tires from a 325i on it - they really add quite a bit of handling.
Floyd
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:29:48 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to get by without putting on snow tires. The car it would be replacing is front wheel drive and gets by with all season tires. I live in central US so we do get our share of snow but nothing like they get in the north. I've had many BMW's over the years but never one with AWD. Over the years i've made a point to have one of my cars a front wheel drive car for those snowy winter days we get. No matter what I buy I'll keep at least one BMW. I really love them (except in the snow). If I get an xi maybe I'll finally have a BMW that I like in the snow. Thanks again.

You're in quite a different situation than me: I'm retired and spend my winters in the Cascade Mts. of WA state teaching skiing. I spend 80-120 days (depending upon weather) on snow. I can't afford not having the best traction, since I hit the roads before they're plowed sometimes, and the drive to my cabin is plowed only 3-4 times a winter. I had the all-seasons on the first two years I had it, and although I only got stuck once (my fault).
Floyd

You can count me out from that one. I bought my E39 at two years old to get the vest value. And although I've had two previous BMWs, I'm not blindly loyal to any brand. I drove all the competition within my price range, and at the time, the E39 was just simply the best, and by some margin. So much so that I'm not tempted to change it, even although I've now had it much longer than usual. I didn't extend the warranty, and in the 3 years or so since it ran out have had to replace a crank position sensor, aux air fan, final stage resistor and drivers door handle, all of which I did myself. But even if I'd had to pay the full cost of fitting, I'd still have saved over the cost of the extended warranty.
--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

That's an interesting one. When Autocar in the UK road tested one fully, they found the touring fuel consumption of the Prius far worse than the new 320D - a far faster car. It managed 44 mpg while the BMW did 56. Ignoring town only use - and who would buy a BMW purely for town use - the Prius is a bit of a joke. Even more telling was the overall consumption for the duration of the test (about 1000 miles) which of course included performance testing - 23 mpg. The BMW, 28.
Note this was an early Prius. The latest one may well be different, since the new Lexus RX400H gave impressive results for its class. Although it too gave nowhere near the 'official mpg' in real world use.
--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 08:30:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

    IIRC, the newer models are worse on gas; Toyota has ramped up performance a bit, causing mileage to suffer.     Emanuel

Not quite sure how that would help?
--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *