2006 330i SMG??

I can not find a single road test writeup on the 2006 330i equipped with SMG. Can anyone tlk about their experiences? I am seriously considering this car but want to know what people have to say about SMG. What is the performance? Same 0-60 time as the 6 speed manual? Same gas mileage?

thanks,

brian

Reply to
Brian Huether

I can't answer the question, but I do have the SMG in my '03 M3. It is amazing.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

I just configured a 335 and SMG isn't an option. When did it start being available on other than the M?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

Are you talking about an '06 e46 coupe ? SMG is not an option on the '06 e90 sedans or the new e92 coupes......that has to tell you something........there has been talk of BMW coming out with a 'new and improved' version of SMG that is similar in design to Audi's DSG double clutch transmission which many consider to be far superior......

Reply to
A.C.

SMG is OK, but you can't beat the real thing!

For some reason people seem to like SMG, for me I don't like it and can't understand what people see in it. Give me a manual (or automatic in some cases) over SMG anyday.

Reply to
Stu

Yes - I've not driven the latest version, but wasn't at all impressed with the one I did. Audi's DSG is a million times better and BMW can't adopt a similar system a minute too soon.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well in the early days of the E36 SMG, it was a bit slow. The E46 had a better system with the rocker switch to control how fast it changed gear (so smooth and slow, or harsh and sporty), but I really can't understand what the big fascination is with clutchless manuals!

In a straight line, OK, but normal road driving...

Reply to
Stu