2006 3xx series - no amber rear turn signals?

Why do you suppose BMW took away the amber turn signals from the '06 3 series?

Brake/Parking/Turn are all red, of course backup is white.

I always equated amber turn signals with European styling.

They have amber on the 5's and 7's.

I miss them.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

They fit amber bulbs in Europe.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although, even with amber bulbs, wondering if the result will still be red, since it's behind a red lens.

Had the same thing with a 1988 Audi - USA version had all red taillights. Had opportunity to travel to Germany, and picked up a pair of taillights w/Amber, and made the swap. Silly expenditure at the time, but it felt right. And better than spending money on beer stein souvenirs. Well, maybe.

Reply to
Mike Mayer

I consider it a safety deficit.

The amber color is distinct and far more visible when the brake lights are on.

With the brake lights are lit, the red turn signal is just a subtle change in the brightness of the rear light.

With amber turn signals, the brighter light (the eye is most sensitive to amber light) and different color makes the turn signal far easier to notice.

It's another reason why I postponed my purchase of a new BMW to see if BMW fixes this and other problems in the new 3-series in future years.

Reply to
bjn

What I can't understand is why the US government don't legislate on such things - obviously for new cars. Amber has been the European standard for probably 50 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's funny enough, but some people here in europe think, that the red american style blinkers are "cool" :)

How about buying a pair of european spec brake lights? :)

Reply to
draugaz

Nothing is going to fix that 3er's ugly ass...

Reply to
daytripper