2006 530i - High Battery Drain

I picked up the car from the port and the battery was dead.

The dealer replaced the battery.

Recently, it displays a warning: High Battery Drain. Car still starts but I'm guessing the battery is living on borrowed time.

I have an appointment next week to get it repaired and I intend to ask for another new battery after they've diagnsed and repaired the source of the problem.

Any ideas or experience as to what this problem could be?

Have a problem with the universal garage door opener. When I initially programed it, it worked fine. Now it's opening and closing my other garage door.

Appreciate any advice.

Reply to
persist

It is most unlikely that two batteries would fail. It is much more likely that there is a short somewhere that is causing excessive battery drain.

The old fashioned way to check would be to disconnect the battery. If there is a spark on reconnection, there must be a short somewhere. You can also measure the current with a VOM. The current with every thing off (you cannot actually cut every thing off) should lie in the milliamp range.

On a new car, it is the dealership's job to find it. Wish them luck; these things can be hard to locate.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Good points. Further, you don't say where you're located, but if your state has "lemon laws," you may want to remind the dealer about it....

Reply to
bfd

Not necessarily - some electronics could have a high initial current.

That's the reliable way. However, allow some time for things to settle down - perhaps 20 minutes or so, as certain devices remain powered for some time after switch off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Had this same problem...it's possible your stereo or another accessory was wired directly to your battery, and thus drains it while the car is not running.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Reply to
kmccary

If that is the way that whomever connected this equipment to your car, you really ought to complain loudly about their workmanship. Jim

Reply to
Jim

It's quite common for external power amps to be connected 'direct' to the battery - but go into standby mode when no signal is present. Of course all these few milliamps here and milliamps there add up. I think I remember reading somewhere that about 2 weeks is the maximum a modern car can be left without running the engine before the battery goes flat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to all that took time to reply. Car is at the dealership today.

Will try and follow up.

This is my 4th BMW and the first time I've had a major issue with a new one.

Reply to
persist