2007 M3 - Pricing to new levels

I f BMW is going to offer a V-8 in the new M3, I wonder if a the 6 cylinder will still be an option.

I prefer the 6. I had a 540i and did not like the features I gave up (i.e. rack and pinion steering) to drive a big heavy motor down the street.

If I run the numbers right, to get a V-8 into this country with gas guzzler taxes on big motors, my guess this car would be starting at around 65k out the door, over 70k for the convertible.

Reply to
redline

Isn't the U.S. gas guzzler tax a separate item and not included in the MSRP?

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

You are correct, but I believe there is also a tax on manufacturers that import large V8 motors. Not sure if it is still in place. But just look at the cost of a lexus with a v-8 compared to the es v6.

I think something is still going on to help America's auto mfr's compete.

Reply to
redline

No, it'll only be a V8. However, there's talk of either a larger engine I6 or a turbo version of the existing I6 that will be badged the 335i.

If I remember correctly all BMW's (4, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder) now come with rack and pinion steering.

Kyle.

98 740iL 97 M3
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Not if, when. And no, the inline six will no longer be an option in an M3. If you want an I6 you'll just have to move all the way down to a

330i.

The M3 will not make such concessions. And if you check closely, your "big heavy" V8 engine was not all that much heavier than an inline 6 engine, but had considerably more power

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "this country", but assuming you mean the US, then I would bet you are only a little bit high. My guess would be about $5k lower.

Reply to
Malt_Hound