--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
"Charles C. Shyu" wrote

Here are a few...
http://www.v10.pl/BMW,M3,Coupe,2007,galeria,66.html
Pete
Charles C. Shyu wrote:

Quite a machine. Until you consider the cost. And then you might think, "and this beats a Corvette how, exactly"?\
I mean, individual throttle butterflies are cool and all...

The difference between a scalpel and an axe? Don't get me wrong, the Corvette offers incredible performance at a remarkably low price and (theoretically) it can be serviced at any Chevy dealer. OTOH, the interior sucks (albeit there's a $24K solution) and it has various other limitations.
R / John
John Carrier wrote:

I suppose. I am glad to see reports that the new M3 will be less hard-core, more gand-tourer, than the outgoing model. I don't see the point of such hard-riding cars for the street. IMO the extra-hard suspension should be an option.
wrote in message

interior
limitations.
LOL!
TonyK wrote:

Thank you for your contribution. Maybe I am ignorant of the situation, and M3 in fact has suspension options, one harder/sportier than the other, from the factory.
Care to step up to the plate and provide evidence that the M3 has such an option?

"All-new suspension with special, weight-optimised components as well as axle kinematics characteristic of BMW M for a highly dynamic driving experience, forged aluminium track control arms, compound high-performance brake system, optional Electronic Damper Control (EDC) with three freely available control maps."

the
I should ad that my LOL was at the comment that the M3s' "hard-riding" suspension should be an option. The E46 M3's suspension is not that much harder than a 325 with sports suspension and is designed to be so.
It's not as if it was designed to be uncomfortable, it was designed to do a job. One it does quite well. I lived with it for 2 years on unmade roads with 6" potholes.
It's true most people are unlikely to exploit the capabilities of any "M" car on the road, especially in town. But on select open roads they do excel and that is where elements such as the suspension shine.
An M3 is/was BMW's pinnacle of the M didvisions "Motorsport" engineering. Not a luxo-barge... although I must admit while I found the M3 too soft and not as focussed as I wanted it was an excellent compromise betwen performance and practicality.
(I've now decided I can do without the practicality.)
TonyK wrote:

That's an example of how hard it is to please all of the people with just one suspension setup. You would want the M3 suspension harder yet, while I think the normal BMW "sport" suspension is plenty firm for the street.
IMO, anyone who thinks the current M3 "too soft" is extreme-enough where they can and should be left to the aftermarket. Again, MO.
TonyK wrote:

So I was correct.

Damn! he did it again.
Add TonyK to the list of people who've had their arse kicked by Dizzy.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

Not really, but I'll lace-up a pair of steel-toes for you, if you'd like...

Why? Are you going to do a Lancashire fighting clog dance or something?
You've always been an entertaining chucklehead, that's for sure, but if you've got something new and interesting like that up your sleeve, then maybe we'll take a fresh look at you.
Go ahead, kick some more arse.
<teehee>
--
Dan.

You mention HARD SUSPENSION. I was in the market to replace my E38 740i and looked at several E65 730d cars before buying the 6 month old example I have however, I digress. One of the "wonderful" models was a 730d SPORT????
It had the option of 20" wheels amongst others that made it very desirable until I drove it.
The suspension was rock hard - thump thump thump on every little road imperfection and coupled with the 20" wheels and very low profile tyres (tires) the ride was terrible. the wheels made the car "white line" (that is wandering about being guided by the raised white line and reflectors (cats eyes).
There was no way I could have lived with such a monster. Maybe on a NEW smooth asphalt surface Ok but on bumpy roads with pot holes and white lines and your concrete interstates Wow.............. Drive me mad.....
Another I tried was a stock sedan fitted with the optional adaptive suspension. Hard and soft settings but this was also fitted with the 20" wheels. the hard setting wasn't as hard as the sport as the car still had stock springs and only the damper setting were being changed but it was still "nervy" on the white lines and bumpy on the normal road surface. On the "comfort" settings it still wandered about due to the 20" wheels but the ride was like a boat and I actually felt sick and so did my wife after about 20 minuets driving.
We decided to give that one a miss too.
I bought a 730d with stock suspension and I can honestly say that in everyday driving and fast country driving it runs circles around the so called "Sport" version for ride and comfort. On a race track things might be different but in the real world -------

    To me, the more relevant question is "It beats the previous M3 how?" Once you dip under the 5secs 0-60 line, costs rise exponentially for every tenth second, which is less and less practical for a street car (in the US, you can ignore the top speed altogether unless you like the prison social scene). If I had an E46 M3, I don't think the additional tenths shaved would warrant the expense.     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill

For sure, but what you may be missing is the cost effectiveness of the crotch-rocket motorcycle once you get into the, say, sub 4 second 0 to 60 zone.
The adrenaline rush of a modern crotch rocket is in a different league altogether. It leaves you despairing of *any* car's performance.
Thank ghod that I'm old enough (too old?) and wise enough to stay away from more than a quick blast on someone else's modern bike. Damn, I nearly killed myself one time on a Triumph Speed Twin in 1960-something.
--
Dan.

E Brown wrote:

Well, it's no secret that they felt they needed the displacement to keep-up with the competition... Kind of sad to see them go-away from the I6 in their top cars. OTOH, V8's can sound really nice...
If you don't agree with what they are doing, don't buy it. If enough people feel and act the same way, maybe BMW will get the hint.
I personally like the speed of my 330i; with 255 hp and a six sp manual it moves quite well and I could not imagine needing or wanting anything more than that. Plus the wife and two kids fit in nicely with the 4 doors.
dizzy wrote:

And there's the rub. Until you actually *try* more, you don't know that you really *want* more...