2014 kidney grill change

Since buying a 2014 381i BMW Sports Touring, I've been looking a lot at the styles of the BMW's I see on the street. It seems that the kidney grill changed in 2014, slightly, but importantly.

The front of the car slopes down slightly, making the kidney grills look more like nostrils, sniffing the road. I think this is a big improvement over the previous years, where the kidney grill is just kind of boring, though not as huge as it was during the bad styling years.

The most obvious way to recognize 2014 BMW is the headlights are hexagonal and no longer round, but the difference in the grill is a subtle, more attractive change.

Reply to
really real

In the opinion of a lightweight who probably thinks that anything new and different is "more attactive".

Reply to
dizzy

Not at all - BMW's got progressively less attractive for a while. The

2014 change is an improvement in my eyes because BMW has moved away from the bigger is better.

Another thing I noticed is that to make the new kidney grills turn down a bit, there is now a line on the hood right before the insignia

Reply to
really real

The prettiest BMW in recent decades was the E39 and it was only a 5 series.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I can see why that one is cute. The kidney grills got bigger after that. Now they're getting smaller again.

I reason I like the new one so much is that the kidney grill seems to point downward as if its sniffing the road. Making the grill look more like nostrils gives the front of the car a more anthropomorphic face.

Reply to
really real