318i overheated

I have a 96' 318i. I overheated a few weeks ago and blew a hole in the radiator. So I replaced it and then discovered my spark plugs caked in oil. So I replaced the valve cover gasket and tube seals(and plugs). Then I replaced the thermostat and it still overheated(even without the thermostat!). Then I figured it was the coolant pump, so I replaced that(the turbine was in the block). Now it is still overheating. The fan does work. So my next step is the head gasket set. I was just wanting to know if I'm right about the head gasket set. Or if it could be something else? Or if I'm right is there anything else that is mandatory to replace?

Reply to
Laurak4

What is the flow through the system like? If the turbine fragmented, and your block is now clogged with bits off the pump, you have a more serious problem.

You could well have damaged the gasket and/or warped the block by overheating the engine so severely. But if the coolant can't get through the block and you have to replace the block as a result, it'll take care of all that stuff too.

How did you manage to overheat the thing so severely? If your temperature gauge was screwed up, it may still be screwed up and you may be running cooler than you think.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

"Laurak4" wrote

Before doing the head gasket, perform a cooling system pressure test. This will tell you if you have a leak - since you don't mention loss of coolant, you may not have a leak that can be fixed by replacing the head gasket.

You don't mention the fan clutch; does it overheat while driving (at 30-40 mph), or while sitting still.

Another thing to check -- or replace - is the hoses. The bottom hose to the radiator can collapse when old, stopping the coolant flow.

And lastly, many BMWs have tricky fill procedures. It's easy to get an air bubble in the system. You may just need to bleed the system.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I did a compression test and I believe the 1st cyl was 100 and kept going down each cyl the last cyl was 20.

The turbine was in one piece. It didn't look chopped up at all.

I bought the car in November. I had to heat it up for at least 12 minutes for it to be warm when it was winter and it would go back to cold when I turned the heat on. Maybe the temperature gauge is screwed up.

I never dog it out or anything.

Reply to
Laurak4