318IS noise

i've recently bought a used 318IS, 1996, 152,000Ks. overall its really nice to drive - the engine could be quieter but it wasn't a major concern. its not actually the noise so much as its a 'ragged' type noise... if that makes sense lol. what's the best course of action to take for noisy engine syndrome - is it likely to be anything specific that's worn..? any info much apprec.

Reply to
pixel

Is it only noisy when cold? Is it a high or low pitched noise? Does it go away if you depress the clutch?

Reply to
John Burns

No same at all temeratures, its just kind of a high pitched rasp, only really noticeable at idle and low revs. i'm driving an auto.

Reply to
pixel

If it's a tinny rattle check the metal conduit that holds the HT leads. Mine snapped at the rear mounting and was vibrating against the cylinder head.

Reply to
John Burns

I am not sure this is the noise you're talking about.. but my 328is used to make a hell of a racket at one point.. Turned out it needed an exhaust clamp.. £10 from my local dealer.. and took my 5 minutes to put on... now runs very quiet.. Also could rattling be the signs of wearing engine mounts?

Reply to
C.Read