318ti acceleration question

Hi,
I've got a 98 318ti which runs fine apart from one thing. When I accelerate with the pedal pushed to the floor or almost to the floor, it feels like
something is holding the car back a little. This seems to be borne out by the fact that when this happens, if I lift off the accelerator a little then the performance appears to improve. Is this all in my mind or is it an airflow/mixture thing?

Sounds funny. Maybe a badly adjusted throttle position switch or a vacuum leak? Could even be a dragging brake caliper. I'd have the engine's fault codes read. How old is the air filter?

Hi John,
Pretty sure it's not the air filter or the brakes, I've had the car for four years, fully dealer serviced with the brakes and air filter both been changed and it's been a "feature" of the car for all of that time. It's almost as if I'm choking the car with fuel when fully accelerating which seems to explain why acceleration improves when I lift off slightly. Would that tie in with a vacuum leak? I know many people think the M44 is strangled by the air filter housing but it wouldn't have this effect, would it?
Cheers.
Check your air intake. I have the same occasionally with my 323. When it comes loose I have that problem.

Thanks, I checked that but as far as I can see all is well. Thought it might be an oxygen sensor as I noticed a similar fault posted on an M5, but I'm just guessing. It's due a service anyway so I'll ask them to have a look around.
Cheers.