318ti won't turn off

Hi, I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but I need suggestions as to what it may be. I started my 318ti and drove it a short way but when I went to turn it off the key turned off and came
out but the car stayed running. I stalled it to get the motor off but the electrical system stayed on. So I had to disconnect the battery. Only one other time did I have a problem where the key turned in the ignition but the starter didn't engage at all. Is the likely a problem with the starter motor or the ignition or something else?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Ignition switch or solenoids most likely.
Has the ignition been 'barrelled' e.g. if car has been stolen?
No never stolen or had anything like it.
Can you explain how the solenoids might cause this? I certainly understand the ignition switch idea but don't know exactly what the solenoids do.
Thanks in advance.

Solenoid that e.g. switches the current to the starter motor, headlights etc. Usually near fuse box. If it gets stuck on... Just plug in units cost 5 - 10.
You guys are great, Thanks!

where are all those experts who had previously stated this could not happen........re the 135mph chappy who you all slanged off..........

Good question .... 'cept didn't he also claim that the throttle stuck wide open?
RCE
jpsails wrote:

A not uncommon E36 series failure. You need a new ignition switch. It has nothing to do with the starter.
Hi, is this something that I could fix myself? I see I can buy a new ignition switch for $75, does it take much ability to install? I am reasonably handy but I don't have a BMW manual or know what problems to avoid.
Thanks