320ci - rattle from engine - EGR?

Hi,
I have an October 2003 320Ci, which emits a low pitched rattle, from the engine compartment, when accelerating through the gears (5 Speed manual).
The 'rattle' is present between 1500 and 1700 RPM only. So, I hear it from standing, and accelerating in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear etc.
The 'rattle' is only present under load, so if the car is stopped and I rev the engine, I hear nothing.
The 'rattle' is also only present when the car is cold. It seems to disappear when the engine is hot.
Okay, the BMW garage say this rattle is the EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculator - which is part of the emission system - it pumps exhaust gas back into the engine to burn-off hydrocarbons. So they say. Sounds complicated.
Do your BMW's make this rattling noise?
Is the garage correct in their diagnosis?
Any help, greatly appreciated.
Regards,
James G.