320i engine temperature

This may be a silly question but how hot would you expect the engine to run?
I have a brand new 320i (my first BMW) which is running perfectly and with
no warning lights but after a drive in the rain today I noticed some light steam coming off the hood / bonnet. When I investigated I found it was a lot warmer than on any other cars I've had.
Is this normal or something I should worry about?

So long as the temp gauge runs in the middle I'd not worry.
I would not worry.
The indicator that something is amiss is the needle on the instrument cluster. It should remain normally within a needle's width of the center of the guage. Perhaps 2 needles width if you live in extreme cold or hot.

Thanks everyone.
Unfortunately on the new 320 there doesn't appear to be an engine temperature gauge, only a warning light that comes on if it's too hot.
This hasn't come on yet though so I'll assume everything's okay for now.

I'd read about that, but it slipped my mind. What a really silly idea, progress?

As others' have said - the temperature indicator is just that an indicator and not a GAUGE (GAGE) that measures the temperature.
All the indicators read an AVERAGE level - even the fuel gauge.
The range is COLD to TOO HOT and 1/2 way or just over is about right. If it shows 3/4 travel then start to worry otherwise - have fun.
Sir Hugh of Bognor