320i engine temperature

This may be a silly question but how hot would you expect the engine to run?

I have a brand new 320i (my first BMW) which is running perfectly and with no warning lights but after a drive in the rain today I noticed some light steam coming off the hood / bonnet. When I investigated I found it was a lot warmer than on any other cars I've had.

Is this normal or something I should worry about?

Reply to
Andy

So long as the temp gauge runs in the middle I'd not worry.

Reply to
John Burns

I would not worry.

The indicator that something is amiss is the needle on the instrument cluster. It should remain normally within a needle's width of the center of the guage. Perhaps 2 needles width if you live in extreme cold or hot.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

As others' have said - the temperature indicator is just that an indicator and not a GAUGE (GAGE) that measures the temperature.

All the indicators read an AVERAGE level - even the fuel gauge.

The range is COLD to TOO HOT and 1/2 way or just over is about right. If it shows 3/4 travel then start to worry otherwise - have fun.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately on the new 320 there doesn't appear to be an engine temperature gauge, only a warning light that comes on if it's too hot.

This hasn't come on yet though so I'll assume everything's okay for now.

Reply to
Andy

I'd read about that, but it slipped my mind. What a really silly idea, progress?

Reply to
John Burns