320i pinging noise

I bought a 320i recently and it's been functioning perfectly. However it occasionally makes a pinging noise for no apparent reason while I'm driving.
No warning lights appear on the dash and it's definitely not the parking sensors.
Any ideas?

Has the outside temp dropped to 37oF (about 3oC), and does your OBC flash the temperature? If so, you're being warned about the possibility of ice on the road.
Tom K.

No it does it regardless of outside temperate and the ice warning symbol doesn't appear on the dash.
Thanks, Andy

Has someone set the LIMIT function on the OBC to beep above a certain speed? Or the memo fn?
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

It's definitely not the LIMIT function but I'll go and check out the memo.
Thanks, Andy

Speed limit set and then exceeded?

No it's not that consistent and I'm fairly sure I've been travelling at less than 40mph each time I've heard it.

You set the speed limit, so it could be anything.
Andy wrote:

BMW built the first 320i a little over 30 years ago. Would you care to tell us how long ago they built *yours*? -- C.R. Krieger (Am I the only one who knows history?)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. It's a 2006 model.
Andy