323 Auto Trunk problem

I have a 2000 323CI. The car has an automatic trunk release on the left hand, front inside firewall. The release was working for a while and now will not activate the trunk. The trunk release on the remote
is also not releasing the trunk. Can anyone help? Is there, perhaps, a locking mechanism keeping both devices from working?
Thanks, Rob

Check the key position on the lock on the trunk. If its turned to the horizontal position, it will only unlock at the trunk itself with the master key. The remote and release button up front won't work. You can find this info and more on page 39 of your owners manual or in the Owners Circle on https://oc.bmwusa.com/ .
Kyle. 98 740iL 01 525i
Thanks for the reply. The trunk lock is in the horizontal position. The manual does not instruct me on how to change the position. It will only turn to the left to open the trunk with the master key, then locks back up as soon as I close the trunk. Could it be a bad fuse due to an electrical malfunction?
Put the key in the lock and turn it. The key will come out when the lock is horizontal or vertical. While verticle, the lock responds to commands from the central locking system.

Thanks for the reply. The trunk lock is in the horizontal position. The manual does not instruct me on how to change the position. It will only turn to the left to open the trunk with the master key, then locks back up as soon as I close the trunk. Could it be a bad fuse due to an electrical malfunction?

RobNap wrote:

It should turn back counterclockwise so tha the key slot is vertical, at which point you should be able to remove the key. Then using the button should electrically unlock the trunk.
--
-Fred W

It won't turn. I am going to have BMW diagnose it. I reset the key today, but it didnt help. Thanks for your assistance.
Rob
The Valet Key will not operate the trunk lock.
You use the normal key to secure your camera in the trunk, then give the valet key to the valet service. They can not open the trunk and take your camera. You can not open the trunk either until you find the normal service key.

On my 3 Series, I can turn the trunk key to the straight up position and the trunk lock responds to the central locking system. I can also turn the key to the right, and then it is locked all of the time, and will not respond to the central locking.