325 AC - where do you put the R-12?

When recharging the AC on a 1988 325 where do you screw the can in? If I'm standing at the passenger side fender looking down into the engine compartment I can see three obvious fittings; one on a line on top of the fender near the strut tower, one on the rear end of the compressor body and one near the sight glass. Which one is it? Thanks as always.

Reply to
cosmo

You want the low pressure side which is the one by the strut tower. I may catch heat for this but if you have to ask which port to use, I would like to point out that adding refridgerant can be a hazardous activity. Try not to get hurt... :)

Reply to
Michael Yeager

I have done this, but usually if you need to add refrigerant more than once in a blue moon*, you probably have a leak and will waste your money.

Usually the top up can comes with full instructions.

If you have some other fault (like failed compressor or just the belt off) then you might overpressurise the system :-(.

A proper service removes the old refrigerant (for recycling), adds new and lubricant. They can also insert dye markers to trace leaks.

Make sure you work in a well ventilated area, wear goggles etc., because as the man says you don't want to get hurt or worse.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton