325 IC Convertible Top Cover Shock

Hello all,

And thank you to Jeff Strickland for answering my question about Metric to English.

I just got this 91 Convertible and the Top Cover has to be held up when putting down the top. It's unhandy and I assumed that the little shocks connected to it were just bad. I went to order new ones and they are just called shocks.

I am wondering if they are pressure filled shocks (which I thought would be called something else besides just shocks) that would hold the lid up or just shocks to keep it from falling fast.

I don't want to spend the money and find out mine were ok.

The wife and I took it for our maiden top down voyage last night around town. It was truly a wonderful experience. I had never been in a Convertible before. What a car.

Ct Midnite

Commonly called gas filled struts.

Yes - they should counterbalance the cover, but don't last forever.

However, they're generic items. You'll find their specs stamped on the housing. So you're probably not tied into getting 'genuine' spares.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Ct Midnite" wrote

IMO, convertibles shouldn't even have a top; they're so much better cars with the top down.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Heh, you know I sort of agree with you except then when you get caught out in a cloudburst you'll ruin the leather seats.

On my Z3 I almost never put the top up. Just to wash the car and as previously noted, a rare rain storm while on the road. It sits in the garage with it stowed away and the tonneau cover on so it's ready to go cruising in a minutes notice. The only real problem with this pravtice is the rear window has a serious crease in the fold line. Oh well... Can't see that when it's down anyway. ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It is wonderful! In fact, we are leaving for a drive in a few minutes, as soon as we get our stuff together. We'll hit the road, and then decide where to go.

We follow a tip from the people who sold us the car: When the top is half way down, stop and form the crease by hand, then lay a folded towel across the bottom half of the window. The window rolls around the towel and does not crease. Then we put the top up whenever the car sits overnight. It adds a couple of extra minutes on each end of the trip, but it keeps the window in better condition.

BMW makes a rear window cleaner that is supposed to keep the plastic from yellowing. Does anybody have any experience with it?

Reply to
Shadowdancer

I'll second that "fold a towel into the window" trick... My top spent the last 4 months folded down... when opening, the crease in the window was there, but only faintly: was gone after a few hours in the sun.

keith

Many years ago I bought an MG Midget at six months old which had been rolled and rebuilt it. Funds ran out at buying a new hood and frame. So I ran it throughout a whole UK winter with only the tonneau cover. And a decent sheepskin jacket - it was the '60s after all.

Memories...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)