325 iX viscous coupler?

Hi. I went to look at an 89 325 iX for sale today. I never saw an AWD BMW when I worked on them 20 years ago in San Diego, but it snows here in Northern
California. I was suspicious in testing when I could stop both front wheels idling in Drive on the rack, so tested further. Rear has a great limited slip diff, is front an open diff, or worn out? Rear end up on a jack, put running in drive, took it up to 2000 RPM and it didn't even try to move the car by the front wheels. Bad viscous coupler? Any cheaper sources than BMW? Thanks,
--
Stupendous Man,

Almost certainly the front rear diff will be open. A Range Rover has an option to lock it (e.g. to get out of a quagmire), but it causes bizarre off road handling and will snap the transmission (even with the clutch in) if engaged on the road.

Try puting the handbrake on, power should then be sent to the front.

Yeh - buy an Saburu - what a question!

As it is an old car, and AWD parts are expensive to buy and fit, perhaps the previous owner has simply disengaged the front drive?

On ice?

Seriously, would you pay BMW 3 times as much for the exact same item as APW? I havent found a source yet, but will be making some calls monday.

fail at high mileages and the symptoms you are seeing are classic of that having happened. I have a 325iX with close to 200K miles on it. It's a little beaten up but mechanically it's all working fine. It really is a little pearl of a car.
Thanks, i will check it out. I bought a nice 85 325e cheap for my wife and rebuilt the Zf4HP22 transmission. It's been a good car but someone ran a light and totaled it. Lots of good donor parts there for the IX. This IX has only 95K miles, but has the usual problems like window lifters, sunroof binding, etc.
--
Stupendous Man,

On the ramp - you want to know if it works at all!

Depends what the bit is. Crucial parts of the brakes and steering probably yes. Routine service parts and trim probably not.

A 1985 car with 200k, would be virtually worthless in the UK or EU, but the market in the USA may be different. There is a bit of market in the UK for recent high milage cars or mint older cars, but the combination doesn't sell especially when there are big faults (like broken 4WD).
Typically the cost of any repair, or even parts, is more than the value of old worn car and it will be scrapped. A search for 3 series with ~100kmiles within 20 miles of me produces several examples between 500 - 1k ($1k - $2k) in the ten to fifteen year old range. Double the outlay and the cars on offer are less than ten years old and <100k miles.

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:48:50 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"

There were only 3,000 or so 325iX's imported to the US. They have a bit of a following, even a beat up and well knackered one will still bring $2,000 or so. The engine block and some engine components, as well as the transmission bits, are unique to the 325iX so parting one out can be profitable as well.

There's a Yahoo 325iX group, on which it is well known that the VC can fail at high mileages and the symptoms you are seeing are classic of that having happened. It's not a cheap or simple fix but there are good options. I suggest you search the 325iX Yahoo group archives for more information than you ever wanted to know about the 325iX's VC.