325 still knocking after valve adjustment,..

Page 2 of 2

Well, the knocking is most likely still an issue if it's anything other than valve tick or injector noise. The original poster hasn't said much lately and the message seemed to go way off course. I'd be curious to hear from the original poster as to whether or not this noise is present all the time or not and what oil he's using. There are probably other factors that one could think of as well.
wrote

I was going to post the same as Jeff, however although big sixes in the 1980's had hydraulic tappets, I was not sure about this model.
Get a long screwdriver and put the metal end on the cam cover and your ear to the handle end (make sure your hair/necktie etc are well away from belts and pulleys) and listen. Then put the metal end on the block and listen. That should tell you where the problem is - ie tick or slap.
On an '88 M20 at that mileage I would expect a pit of rocker wear which would put a slight groove in the underside of the rocker so even getting the clearances 'spot on' there would still be a bigger gap than the feeler guage suggests - flat feeler v grooved rocker. Learn to live with it. I had the same with an M20 320i - UK 6 cylinder E30 coupe.
Piston slap - well time for another engine or car!
John
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

The big 6's in the 80's also had rockers with eccentrics.. no hydraulic lifters. And several current BMW engines use "solid" lifters and rockers.