325i not shifting into gears

This is 1987 BMW 325i, 5-speed, with 185K miles.
Today it suddenly stopped shifting into gears - all gears when the engine is running. It will only shift into gears if the engine is
turned off. Why is this happening? Could it be the clutch going bad?

Yes. Either the master or slave cylinder has failed, or the pressure plate's spring has failed.
Floyd
How can you know whan is master and whan is slave cilinder?
wrote

When a slave cylinder fails, there's usually evidence of leaking. Masters sometimes not. So if there's no evidence of fluid loss, likely the master. But if either fails, the pedal will feel different - little or no resistance or extra travel before resistance felt. Although this last one could also be down to other failures within the clutch.
--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Yes, the pedal does feel softer. The PO told me that the slave cylinder has been replaced. Where do I check the fluid in the master cylinder, and where is it located?

On the other end of the clutch pedal? ;-(
--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Frankly, if you have to ask, perhaps you are not the best person to be checking.
The Clutch Master Cylinder is attached to the clutch pedal, and the fluid is drawn from the Brake Fluid Reservior.

Yes, it could be the clutch going bad. Not the clutch itself so much as the hydraulic system that is between the pedal and the clutch.