325i Oil light question

I have a 2002 325i w/75000 miles. the amber oil light comes on after 30 seconds and remains on for 15 seconds every time I start the car. The oil is full and it indicates that the next service isn;t due for another 9500 miles. I suspect a sensor, but the fact that this condition occurs no matter if the car is cold or warm and seems to occur with un-varying intervals causes me to wonder if there may be some other electronic issue. My understanding is that a sensor cahnge is about a $400 operation that I would like to avoid if at all possible (especally if that isn;t the problem ). Is anyone familiar with this?

Reply to
LJ

Did you check ALL the fuses. check for voltage at the sensor. chances are the sensor is faulty. why not wait unitl your next oil change to repalce the sensor. this way the oil is already out of the engine, the sensor is easy to change when there is no oil in the engine. 3 10mm nuts and it's out. just as simple to install. good luck.

Reply to
hepcatal

It's not a fuse problem. It also is not likely to be a hardware problem.

The issue, as it was explained to me, is that the software has an incorrect sample time. A new sensor can cure the problem, but the fact is, the problem is not realyy a problem. If the light comes on at any other time beside the few seconds at start up, there is a bonafied problem, otherwise all there is is a sampling error.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for your input, Jeff. That is exactly what concerned me. I'd hate to pay the $150 +/- for the new sensor if that wasn't the real problem. The light only comes on during that one situation and my past experience with faulty sensors is that they either don't work at all or they work sporadically. What is the best way to get this corrected?

Reply to
LJ

My daughter has a '00 323, and when the motor is started, the oil light comes on with the key, goes out then comes on again 30-ish seconds after the motor is started. It remains on for 30-ish seconds and then goes out, and never lights again.

We (I) asked two different places and they both gave the same response.

The way to fix it is to replace the sensor, three bolts and a connector (easy stuff at home). But since there is no actual problem, and a true Low Oil Condition will still be reported when it happens, why worry that a false Low Oil Condition is reported at startup? If you know without a doubt that the oil level is where it should be, then you have a false report that is no big deal.

A new sensor will work within the sample period of the software, and this will solve the problem. But the current sensor works, just not within the sample period. The result is a report of a failed sensor ONLY because the sample period is not as large as the sensor needs.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland