325xi Flashing Mirror Light w/o Alarm?

I have a new 325xi w/o the factory installed Alarm option but the red light underneath the mirror mount still flashes when the car is locked. What
exactly does this blinking light mean? Is the car protected or disabled in *any* way?
Bob wrote:

The light is there to tell anyone thinking of breaking into your nice new 325xi that it has an alarm - even if it doesn't. Does your car have remote lock/unlock? AFAIK - the alarm isn't an option any more.

I do have remote keyfob lock/unlock but I couldn't get the owners manual described "panic mode" to work so I eMailed the dealer for help. They told me that an "Alarm" (an related features such as panic mode, tilt sensor, etc) is a $450 option and without it the blinking light is purely cosmetic. Seemed hard to believe so I thought I'd ask this group which is often a better resource. Sadly, in this case the dealer info seems correct.
the dealer can program your key to activate the light or not.