328i 17" performance wheels and ice/snow

Page 1 of 2
To get 17" wheels on the 328i, you have to opt for the sports package. However, performance wheels aren't recommended for ice/snow plus you can damage the wheel/car by running on the "run flat" tires.
Where I live, we don't get a lot of snow or ice during the winter but we do get it and sometimes it can be bad. Is there a way to get the 17" wheels but with different tires?
When all is said and done, the overall diameter of the 17s and the 16s is the same (within a fraction of an inch -- a few mm, actually), but the width is different. 17s come closer to the fender openings than the 16 do because the offset on the back (inside) portion of the rim is the same, so wider rims move the tires closer to the fenders. If you put narrow tires on the 17" rims, it will 1.) look like shit, and 2) defeat the purpose of having the upgraded tires.
If you must drive this car in snow, then you should get a set of 16" snow tires that fit, and swap the wheels in winter and again in summer. If you can avoid driving the car in snow, then the 17s will be okay. If you are out, and it snows, then you have to be careful until you get home, then park the car or swap to winter tires (mentioned earlier) before you drive again.

This isn't very practical. Besides, it may not snow and just be icy. However, you don't know where the ice is until you come up on it. So, you can't really avoid it.

If that's all the problem you have, drive happy. If you drive like you have any sense at all, the tires won't present any problems.

Does BMW have an option that allows you to bet a better all season type on a 17" wheel?
"brett" wrote

Just sell the summer tires that the car comes with and buy a set of all-seasons to replace them.
Pete

Brett, you *are* aware of the requirements for getting "all season" and "M+S" on the sidewall of the tire, aren't you? The requirement is that the tread have 25% of it's running surface "open". Nothing else. There is no "better" all season tire; they're all about the same.
If you're worried about winter traction, go to Discount (or whoever your local tire retailer is) and ask for them to be "siped". This puts a lot of small cuts into the tire, similar to those in most snow tires.
FloydR
"Floyd Rogers" wrote

It's not just a matter of sipes. A proper winter tire is made of a different rubber compound, one that does not harden as much as a typical summer tire compound. I don't care how many sipes you put on a Bridgestone S03 - it will still be aweful when the temps drop because it'll turn into a hockey puck.
To me, the idea of getting brand new summer tires and then paying someone to butcher them left right and center is retarded, but it's your money I suppose.
Pete

An all-season tire is *NOT* a summer tire.
FloydR
"Floyd Rogers" wrote

But the sport package which the OP is considering comes with summer tires.
Pete

If you actually go back and look at the post I replied to, the OP is *clearly* talking about all-season tires at that point. I certainly wasn't talking about siping summer tires, even if you believe I was.
FloydR
Pete wrote:

Hehe. I have S03's on my Supra. They're hideous if temps get even close to freezing. I won't be buying them again.

Well, credit where credit is due, you're right on this one. S03s *really* dislike cold pavement, and if you know it's gonna be near freezing (or worse, snowing) and you're driving on S03s you deserve whatever befalls you (but pity for anyone you run into). But then, close to freezing or below is what the third car in the driveway is for ;-)
I've been running S03s for the last 15K miles, replaced a set of S02s. I *love* the S03s as long as the road temperature is above 40F.
Above that, they stick like kittens on curtains and make any highway ramp an E-ticket ride. Did you know you can do a tail-out powered drift in an S4? :-)
Below that, they're down right dangerous, and you'll find me in my Hemi Durango.
They're also not the quietest tires in the shop, for certain. I've found going faster helps...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

I don't know what tires are offered. Sorry.
I drive a '94 3 Series convertible that is fitted with 17s off of a '95 M3. I run with 225/45x17 BFGoodrich g-Force Sports. I live in So. Calif., though so I never ever drive in snow. Well, I do, but I've got other cars for the job, and I can easily make my driving plans around the weather. If I even _think_ there will be snow, the convertible remains in the garage ;-)
You do not sound like you need chains, just good tires for winter and the rest of the year. I'd suggest getting the 17" tire package and driving it until the tires wear out, then replacing them with a tire better suited for your environment. I suspect the engineers have probably selected a tire that will do the job pretty well though.

Right - I don't need chains. I have a Honda Civic now with regular tires (not snow/winter tires and it does ok). I did fine in our more unusual winter last year.
I'll be leasing the car so I don't want to replace tires unless it is done before at the beginning of the lease. I would question the BMW dealer about the driving around here with the sports package but I imagine they will only stick to the book - performance tires shouldn't be used on snow/ice. However, if the car will be like a hockey puck on ice, I'll need to get the 16" wheels. Problem is that I don't like the way they make the car look (looks like a Prius or something with the small wheels).

You will be fine in a 3 Series with 17s. Yes, there are better tires, I suppose, but if you are accustomed to a Honda Civic with whatever tires that car gets, the BMW with 17s will be a huge improvement.
Exercise common sense when needed, and you will be fine.

The Sports Package is more than a tire upgrade. If you like the Sports Package because of the tires and wheels, then get it.
Don't replace tires until they wear out.

I guess a good question is: Is anyone on the eastcoast getting the sports package and how are you getting along with it? The eastcoast gets way more ice than we (northwest) do.
Solution found - 328xi. All wheel drive with 17" wheels and all season tires. That's the standard sports package on an xi.

That's essentially what I have - an '01 330xi. It's adequate in snow, great balance on wet and dry roads. I put snow tires on in winter for the exceptional conditions I drive in.
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

You live out in the boondocks?
As a city-dweller, I've found that, if you put-forth the effort of putting on *real* Winter tires, AWD is not needed.