328i 17" performance wheels and ice/snow

To get 17" wheels on the 328i, you have to opt for the sports package. However, performance wheels aren't recommended for ice/snow plus you can damage the wheel/car by running on the "run flat" tires.

Where I live, we don't get a lot of snow or ice during the winter but we do get it and sometimes it can be bad. Is there a way to get the

17" wheels but with different tires?
Reply to
brett

When all is said and done, the overall diameter of the 17s and the 16s is the same (within a fraction of an inch -- a few mm, actually), but the width is different. 17s come closer to the fender openings than the 16 do because the offset on the back (inside) portion of the rim is the same, so wider rims move the tires closer to the fenders. If you put narrow tires on the

17" rims, it will 1.) look like shit, and 2) defeat the purpose of having the upgraded tires.

If you must drive this car in snow, then you should get a set of 16" snow tires that fit, and swap the wheels in winter and again in summer. If you can avoid driving the car in snow, then the 17s will be okay. If you are out, and it snows, then you have to be careful until you get home, then park the car or swap to winter tires (mentioned earlier) before you drive again.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

This isn't very practical. Besides, it may not snow and just be icy. However, you don't know where the ice is until you come up on it. So, you can't really avoid it.

Reply to
brett

If that's all the problem you have, drive happy. If you drive like you have any sense at all, the tires won't present any problems.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Does BMW have an option that allows you to bet a better all season type on a 17" wheel?

Reply to
brett

"brett" wrote

Just sell the summer tires that the car comes with and buy a set of all-seasons to replace them.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"brett" wrote

Brett, you *are* aware of the requirements for getting "all season" and "M+S" on the sidewall of the tire, aren't you? The requirement is that the tread have 25% of it's running surface "open". Nothing else. There is no "better" all season tire; they're all about the same.

If you're worried about winter traction, go to Discount (or whoever your local tire retailer is) and ask for them to be "siped". This puts a lot of small cuts into the tire, similar to those in most snow tires.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

"Floyd Rogers" wrote

It's not just a matter of sipes. A proper winter tire is made of a different rubber compound, one that does not harden as much as a typical summer tire compound. I don't care how many sipes you put on a Bridgestone S03 - it will still be aweful when the temps drop because it'll turn into a hockey puck.

To me, the idea of getting brand new summer tires and then paying someone to butcher them left right and center is retarded, but it's your money I suppose.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I don't know what tires are offered. Sorry.

I drive a '94 3 Series convertible that is fitted with 17s off of a '95 M3. I run with 225/45x17 BFGoodrich g-Force Sports. I live in So. Calif., though so I never ever drive in snow. Well, I do, but I've got other cars for the job, and I can easily make my driving plans around the weather. If I even _think_ there will be snow, the convertible remains in the garage ;-)

You do not sound like you need chains, just good tires for winter and the rest of the year. I'd suggest getting the 17" tire package and driving it until the tires wear out, then replacing them with a tire better suited for your environment. I suspect the engineers have probably selected a tire that will do the job pretty well though.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Right - I don't need chains. I have a Honda Civic now with regular tires (not snow/winter tires and it does ok). I did fine in our more unusual winter last year.

I'll be leasing the car so I don't want to replace tires unless it is done before at the beginning of the lease. I would question the BMW dealer about the driving around here with the sports package but I imagine they will only stick to the book - performance tires shouldn't be used on snow/ice. However, if the car will be like a hockey puck on ice, I'll need to get the 16" wheels. Problem is that I don't like the way they make the car look (looks like a Prius or something with the small wheels).

Reply to
brett

I guess a good question is: Is anyone on the eastcoast getting the sports package and how are you getting along with it? The eastcoast gets way more ice than we (northwest) do.

Reply to
brett

"Pete" wrote

An all-season tire is *NOT* a summer tire.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Solution found - 328xi. All wheel drive with 17" wheels and all season tires. That's the standard sports package on an xi.

Reply to
brett

"brett" wrote

That's essentially what I have - an '01 330xi. It's adequate in snow, great balance on wet and dry roads. I put snow tires on in winter for the exceptional conditions I drive in.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

"Floyd Rogers" wrote

But the sport package which the OP is considering comes with summer tires.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"Pete" wrote

If you actually go back and look at the post I replied to, the OP is

*clearly* talking about all-season tires at that point. I certainly wasn't talking about siping summer tires, even if you believe I was.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Yes it is.

Use the summer tyres on the wide wheels most of the year. When snow and ice turns up swap them for the 16" narrower ones.

Sure you have to buy an extra set of wheels and tyres and swap them over (or pay someone to do it), but this is far more sensible than running on winter tyres in midsummer or [wide] summer tyres in the snow!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

You will be fine in a 3 Series with 17s. Yes, there are better tires, I suppose, but if you are accustomed to a Honda Civic with whatever tires that car gets, the BMW with 17s will be a huge improvement.

Exercise common sense when needed, and you will be fine.

The Sports Package is more than a tire upgrade. If you like the Sports Package because of the tires and wheels, then get it.

Don't replace tires until they wear out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hehe. I have S03's on my Supra. They're hideous if temps get even close to freezing. I won't be buying them again.

Reply to
dizzy

You live out in the boondocks?

As a city-dweller, I've found that, if you put-forth the effort of putting on *real* Winter tires, AWD is not needed.

Reply to
dizzy