330 2-Door More Expensive than 4-Door?

Page 2 of 2

The coupe's standard fold down split rear seat is a $475 option on the sedan, and the coupe comes standard with the sport suspension and steering wheel which are part of the $1,600 sedan Sport Package.
Does this help?
Tom K.
The fold down seat also buys you seat heaters on the 330i, no?

No doubt there really are some real construction-cost related reasons, but also in play is the fact that 2-doors are viewed as much more of a toy than are 4-door sedans which are more practical devices. People are in general more willing to pay more for their toys than for the practical things they need to buy. If you think about it, a properly designed 2-door should cost no more than a 4-door. Fewer parts to design, fit and align.
Another example is that manufacturers, including BMW, charge more for a larger capacity version of a given engine family even though the only real changes between the, say, 2.5 L flavor and the 3.0 L are a little more metal removed in manufacturing the engine or a longer throw crank. Same transmission and drive train otherwise. Bigger bucks for the larger capacity version. Perceived value justifies it.

How about simple supply and demand? People do view the sedan as more practical and so more of those sell, thus BMW manufactures more of them and can take advantage of economies of scale to bring the cost down. I've never see sales figures, but I certainly observe more sedans on the road than coupes.
Kevin
I dunno. I see a lot of coupes, too. I'd venture to guess that the ratio of coupes to sedans is, at worst 1:3 in the US.
In any case, BMW body styles tend to have long runs with few changes and the E46 is a big seller, so there is plenty of economy of scale for both body styles.