330 against a 535.

I have an old 535 which I want to replace. The car is listed as

235BHP. I am thinking about changing to a 330 which is listed as 231BHP and of course it is a 6 cylinder motor. I figure the 330 will be a lighter car and may even be swifter than my 535. Of course the 330 has the added advantage of rack and pinion steering too so it should be much more nimble too. Am I right so far? pete
Reply to
turtill

wrote

It depends upon WHICH 535 you have: a E28 535i circa 1985-1988, an E34 535i from '89-'92, or a E34/E39 535i (V8) from '95-'99 or so. It also depends upon which 330i you are talking about. It appears you're talking European models (because you mention 231bhp, which is the Euro rating). But do you mean the E46 330i (current coupe/convertible), the E90 330i (sedan - which comes with a different engine set) or a used E46 sedan.

E46 sedans weigh about what an E28 and E34 did, so you won't gain much (other than agility and better mileage) if that's what you're talking about.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Yes I didn't make myself very clear. I have a 1998 535i (V8) sedan and I am looking to get a 3 year old 330 (straight 6) tourer. pete

Reply to
turtill

Well, you'll have to wait for some of the UK posters to respond: we don't get the 3.5L V8 in the US. My guess is that agility and mileage will be better, ride will be worse (unless your E39 has the sport suspension), and straight-line performance will be about equal.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

That is roughly what I thought too but of course I will have to wait for UK posters to tell me more. I am pretty certain my E39 doesn't have the sport suspension and what I am looking for is a more nimble car with roughly the same straight-line performance and of course with rack and pinion steering too. That is, for me a big negative with my V8 in that I do not have rack and pinion steering. However I have used the car for the last 14 months and I have enjoyed it but my son has indicated it should be replaced as it now has 128K miles on the clock and I am not going to argue as he pays;-) pete

Reply to
turtill

Difficult to say. If you like a comfortable cabin, engine flexibility and a high standard of driveability then the 535 is for you.

If you don't mind it being a bit cramped, harsh ride etc. and like being an active driver pushing for the limit then the 330 is for you.

The toys will have moved on a bit too.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Well, 128K is many, but 200K should be s cheap to do as a new car...

Also, the new E90 330i has a much more powerful engine - 255bhp (in US form/tests), so it is much faster. Be aware of the run-flat tires, which are generally acknowledged as giving a slightly harsh ride. I believe that you Europeans get a broader range of engines - including the 3.5L turbo-diesel, which would be my choice.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

No chance of making it a 530, Peter? Since you've been used to the size of an E39, you might find an E46 a bit tight for space. And at three years old I doubt there's much difference in price on similar cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I enjoy my 535 but it is too comfortable and wooly handling and if I can get the same performance out of a 6 cylinder engine with a steptronic then I think the 330 is for me. I had thought about a 540 tourer but they are not common and of course they don't have rack and pinion steering either. Thanks for your advice. pete

Reply to
turtill

Well yes the new 330 has even more power as you point out but in this country we cannot get them as Tourers AFAIK. I wouldn't even consider a diesel even though they are well liked I am a defo petrol head;-) pete

Reply to
turtill

The 530 before 03 hasn't got the power. The one after 03 is a saloon and I do want a tourer. I haven't actually tried a 330 yet and it is 4 inches less than my car so everything is still at the research stage as yet Dave;-) pete

Reply to
turtill

An '02 and '03 530i have the same horsepower, don't they?

Reply to
user

? I think you'll find the performance near identical to your 535, which is why that model got dropped. And it's very much more economical. Unless you're referring to the 528.

?

Always best to try before committing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I actually drive a 740i (>2m tall), and thought the 5 series had rack and pinion, however that will make a difference in feel in the 330. I presume that you are getting one with a manual box (stick shift in the US), since this definitely improves the drive experience. I still fondly remember the two manual 735i's I had in the 80's, but these are very rare now. I have only seen one large BMW manual recently in a mate's 645i, but he won't let me drive it (mate?)... Steptronic - well close, but no cigar.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

The E39 six cylinder models do, the V-8s not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is an old conundrum and applies to WinXP, too.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

According to the books I read before 03 the 530 is 193 BHP and after it is 231BHP in the versions we get in the UK. Dave has made me think though and I am now my in the mind of staying with the E39, possibly a

540 tourer. I used to buy and sell cars for a living many years ago when I was fit and now I am toying with the idea of persuading my son he that he might like to try buying and selling. That way I may get to play with an M3 and an M5;-) pete
Reply to
turtill

Oh dear how I wish I hadn't read your post before writing my last answer. Yes I have now found a 530 in the small print and the 530 is indeed almost identical in BHP. This means a change of plan since I booted up today;-)

I do believe you have changed my mind. Now I am confused about whether I want a 530 or a 540. pete

Reply to
turtill

Well I suppose I am getting old but I prefer the Steptronic. I would have scorned it when I was younger and I didn't have my wife beside me every drive telling me to ease off:-) The series 5 V8 is recirculating ball steering and I didn't realise that before I asked my son to get one for us as I was driving a 320 at the time and it hadn't crossed my mind the steering would be different. However I am now between a 530 and a 540 when I change motors now. I used to have stick shifts in all my 'runabouts' and today I often envy the kids I see in hot turbo hatches as they are great fun. I seem to change like a Jeckel & Hyde character when driving different set ups and errr.... my wife prefers me to drive a Steptronic as I am more laid back that way. She would probably like it even more if we had a 740:-)))))) pete

Reply to
turtill

193 is the 528.
Reply to