330 against a 535.

Page 1 of 2
I have an old 535 which I want to replace. The car is listed as 235BHP. I am thinking about changing to a 330 which is listed as 231BHP and of course it is a 6 cylinder motor. I figure the 330 will
be a lighter car and may even be swifter than my 535. Of course the 330 has the added advantage of rack and pinion steering too so it should be much more nimble too. Am I right so far? pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

It depends upon WHICH 535 you have: a E28 535i circa 1985-1988, an E34 535i from '89-'92, or a E34/E39 535i (V8) from '95-'99 or so. It also depends upon which 330i you are talking about. It appears you're talking European models (because you mention 231bhp, which is the Euro rating). But do you mean the E46 330i (current coupe/convertible), the E90 330i (sedan - which comes with a different engine set) or a used E46 sedan.
E46 sedans weigh about what an E28 and E34 did, so you won't gain much (other than agility and better mileage) if that's what you're talking about.
FloydR
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:38:55 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"

Yes I didn't make myself very clear. I have a 1998 535i (V8) sedan and I am looking to get a 3 year old 330 (straight 6) tourer. pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

Well, you'll have to wait for some of the UK posters to respond: we don't get the 3.5L V8 in the US. My guess is that agility and mileage will be better, ride will be worse (unless your E39 has the sport suspension), and straight-line performance will be about equal.
FloydR
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:29:06 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"

That is roughly what I thought too but of course I will have to wait for UK posters to tell me more. I am pretty certain my E39 doesn't have the sport suspension and what I am looking for is a more nimble car with roughly the same straight-line performance and of course with rack and pinion steering too. That is, for me a big negative with my V8 in that I do not have rack and pinion steering. However I have used the car for the last 14 months and I have enjoyed it but my son has indicated it should be replaced as it now has 128K miles on the clock and I am not going to argue as he pays;-) pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

Well, 128K is many, but 200K should be s cheap to do as a new car...
Also, the new E90 330i has a much more powerful engine - 255bhp (in US form/tests), so it is much faster. Be aware of the run-flat tires, which are generally acknowledged as giving a slightly harsh ride. I believe that you Europeans get a broader range of engines - including the 3.5L turbo-diesel, which would be my choice.
FloydR
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:33:26 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"

Well yes the new 330 has even more power as you point out but in this country we cannot get them as Tourers AFAIK. I wouldn't even consider a diesel even though they are well liked I am a defo petrol head;-) pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

No chance of making it a 530, Peter? Since you've been used to the size of an E39, you might find an E46 a bit tight for space. And at three years old I doubt there's much difference in price on similar cars.
--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:34:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

The 530 before 03 hasn't got the power. The one after 03 is a saloon and I do want a tourer. I haven't actually tried a 330 yet and it is 4 inches less than my car so everything is still at the research stage as yet Dave;-) pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 01:13:45 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

An '02 and '03 530i have the same horsepower, don't they?
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:15:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@user.net wrote:

According to the books I read before 03 the 530 is 193 BHP and after it is 231BHP in the versions we get in the UK. Dave has made me think though and I am now my in the mind of staying with the E39, possibly a 540 tourer. I used to buy and sell cars for a living many years ago when I was fit and now I am toying with the idea of persuading my son he that he might like to try buying and selling. That way I may get to play with an M3 and an M5;-) pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

193 is the 528.
--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:11:21 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Thanks Dave. I have belatedly realised that now. pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:09:04 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Interesting. The '02 and '03 U.S. editions are 225 hp.
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:15:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@user.net wrote:

You are right. I was not aware of the 530 before '02 because I didn't read the book right. Strangely both What Car and Parkers are not as clear as I would have liked on the issue. pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:25:53 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

No problem. Our version is governed to somewhere around 132 mph, while yours specs at 155. :-(
My wife's 330CiC has no such limitation, though 10 hp more with the performance package. Strange.
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:34:26 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@user.net wrote:

Yes I came unstuck on the information or rather the way I read it. Now a 530 Tourer looks much more interesting;-) pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

It definitely appears the 6 cylinder cars require less early replacements of expensive components than the V-8s, but seems to be nothing to do with the actual major power train. However, they are a great deal more nimble in practice, so well suited to UK roads. And the tourer is superb.
--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

? I think you'll find the performance near identical to your 535, which is why that model got dropped. And it's very much more economical. Unless you're referring to the 528.

?
Always best to try before committing.
--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:51:18 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Oh dear how I wish I hadn't read your post before writing my last answer. Yes I have now found a 530 in the small print and the 530 is indeed almost identical in BHP. This means a change of plan since I booted up today;-)

I do believe you have changed my mind. Now I am confused about whether I want a 530 or a 540. pete