330 against a 535.

Page 2 of 2
wrote

Difficult to say. If you like a comfortable cabin, engine flexibility and a high standard of driveability then the 535 is for you.
If you don't mind it being a bit cramped, harsh ride etc. and like being an active driver pushing for the limit then the 330 is for you.
The toys will have moved on a bit too.
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:05:35 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

I enjoy my 535 but it is too comfortable and wooly handling and if I can get the same performance out of a 6 cylinder engine with a steptronic then I think the 330 is for me. I had thought about a 540 tourer but they are not common and of course they don't have rack and pinion steering either. Thanks for your advice. pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

I actually drive a 740i (>2m tall), and thought the 5 series had rack and pinion, however that will make a difference in feel in the 330. I presume that you are getting one with a manual box (stick shift in the US), since this definitely improves the drive experience. I still fondly remember the two manual 735i's I had in the 80's, but these are very rare now. I have only seen one large BMW manual recently in a mate's 645i, but he won't let me drive it (mate?)... Steptronic - well close, but no cigar.

The E39 six cylinder models do, the V-8s not.
--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

This is an old conundrum and applies to WinXP, too.
DAS
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:13:29 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

Well I suppose I am getting old but I prefer the Steptronic. I would have scorned it when I was younger and I didn't have my wife beside me every drive telling me to ease off:-) The series 5 V8 is recirculating ball steering and I didn't realise that before I asked my son to get one for us as I was driving a 320 at the time and it hadn't crossed my mind the steering would be different. However I am now between a 530 and a 540 when I change motors now. I used to have stick shifts in all my 'runabouts' and today I often envy the kids I see in hot turbo hatches as they are great fun. I seem to change like a Jeckel & Hyde character when driving different set ups and errr.... my wife prefers me to drive a Steptronic as I am more laid back that way. She would probably like it even more if we had a 740:-)))))) pete