330ci : Brake disc needs replacement after 10,000 km ?!

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:20:53 +0000, dizzy wrote:

...and no where did I suggest that the ABS applied the breaks. From what the mechanic I was talking to told me the ABS wasn't letting the break pressure release in one of the calipers after the breaks had been applied. That's considerably different than applying pressure.
--
I told you this was going to happen.

"Klaus T." wrote

Unless someone drove it really hard (brake hard) or took it to the track, it seems very strange that the discs would need replacing already. I have a 530i which is probably somewhat heavier than your 330ci, and I got new discs after 44k miles (5 years). They were still usable though, but the would not last through another set of pads, so I went ahead and got them done at that point.
Like others suggested, go to another shop for a second opinion or have the disc thickness measured.

You'll see little surface rust as quickly as an hour after you wash the car. That is not a reason to replace the discs. That's normal and will go away as soon as you apply brakes.
Pete
It sounds like they want to replace them because they are corroded. Not because they are worn, cracked, etc.
So, do you experience brake judder, any abnormal braking, etc? If not, I would personally leave them on there.

Just say NO. You'd have to live on top of a mountain to wear the brakes out in this mileage. Perhaps they could explain further why they feel the discs need replacing. Light surface corrosion does not accelerate disc wear.

From the gist of the posts, sound like you are located in the UK. I recall from my tour of duty in the East Anglia area in the 80s that things corroded quite quickly because of the salt on the roads and the wet climate. Here in the US in the southeast where the climate is mild brakes last a very long time -- 50-70k miles before new pads and frequently the rotors are still OK. Unless you can hose the undercarriage of the car off frequently, or drive more often, I am afraid you are going to be stuck with more brake problems over the life of the car.

I'm originally from the NE coast of Scotland where besides the salt from the sea we get vast amounts used on the roads in the winter - far more so than the relatively mild East Anglia. And it makes little if any difference to the life of discs. Other metal parts like brake pipes etc it will do.
50k pad life suggests *very* gentle use. I consider 25k good - and I'm not a hard driver, although do now live in an area with heavy traffic.
BTW the OP is unlikely to be from the UK - he mentions kilometres. ;-)
--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

London SW