330i VS G35

Any of you new 3 series owner consider the Infinity G-35 before buying BMW? I keep going back and forth and it's a tough decision. Would like to hear why you chose the 3.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack Dotson

- character and style

- when resale is factored in, the price gap is not that big

You have to second guess when something is looking too good on paper. I would even prefer a 325i to a G35. Pure acceleration doesn't stand very high in my priorities.

Reply to
Saintor

To me, the G-35 seems more like a boy's car. The styling screams ricer. I am certain that the performance is as good as, likely a bit better than a BMW 330i, but the BMW is far more subtle in styling and a classier package overall.

YMMV,

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

i don't see why it would be a tough decision.

you don't drive a piece of paper.

you drive both cars, and more than just around the block and your decision will be easy.

look at the resale values and it will be even easier.

The G35 doesn't even compare to the previous 3.

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

Motor Trend has a pretty good comparo between the '05 330, the G35 (not the coupe), and the S4.

The 330 is preferred and has, in Motor Trend's opinion, taken back the "Crown".

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

I'll try and find that article. Still looking and comparing at this point. I'm trying to sell my motorcycle to clear some cap space for a new car, so until it's sold about all I can do is research and make up my mind on what to get. BTW, I think I've found another car that must be take seriously, the new Passat. Yeah, can you believe it? Haven't looked up close, but it looks to be a winner, at least on paper. Might be worth checking out. Curious how it haldles compared to the Bimmer and 35 with have nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution. I did read that they are now mounting the ending sideways. Maybe that will help?

Decisions, decisions. BTW, thanks to everyone for letting the rest of us know how you made your decision. It is really helpful and gives me allot of things to think about.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack Dotson

Oops! Not the S4. The A4. Man, that's a big difference, isn't it? ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Would you happen to have a link? I looked all ovetr the website and couldn't find it. I found a comparison between the G35 sedan, A-4, Acura, etc., and that article talked about the 330 as being the car they were comaring the others to, but it also said in that comparison the G35 was the new bench?

Reply to
Jack Dotson

It's in the current issue so won't be on the free website for another few weeks or so. But yes, they did indeed say that while the G35 was a bit faster the 330i embodied everything one could desire in a sports sedan. And they said the G35 was a cheaply built and appointed piece of shit....in so many words.

Reply to
Ross Garrett

They said no such thing. I might also add that they thought the 330i looked good. Swear to God they said that. Far as I'm concerned that puts their credibility totally in doubt. My goodness, all you have to do is look at a side view of the E90 sedan and it screams Hyundai at you.

Reply to
GLitwinski

Wow, that's surprising coming from the same magazine that ranted about it in their other comparison:

For now, what we have is an almost unbeatable benchmark, especially when you consider price and value. The G35 offers BMW 330i levels of performance, handling, and sophistication for many, many thousands fewer dollars. Among the competitors in this test, the G35 was the least expensive, even though it included a high level of standard equipment, the longest warranty, optional Bose audio system, and sport suspension

Of course this was 2004 and before the new 3 series was improved, but then again, the G-35 has made some nice improvements as well. I think the nice thing is that at least there are now cars challenging the Bimmer's where, IMO, they had no real competition before. I drove a 330i yesterday and it is a really nice car, but the one I drove had the sports package which I do not want. I like a softer ride. I really like both and am sure I could be happy with either. It's nice to have such a tough decision to make. BTW, here is a more recent comparison with the 530i against the new M-35. I don't see they saying anything about the Infinity's being cheaply built in either article. Think it might just boil down to one drives and handles better, the other close with more power. I'm leasing and have found the residual the same for both.

Decisions, decisions! Might boil down to which dealer will pay off my bike so I can buy a new car.

Jack Dotson

Sure they did, "in so many words". I'll cite you the page and paragraph tomorrow after looking back at the mag tonight.

I've seen the e90 in person and it is an extremely good looking car, even though I am not particularly fond of the tailight treatments. But I find the credibility of **anyone** who has to refer to the look of the 3 series as screaming Hyundai or Toyota completely without merit.

Apparently their simple opinion isn't good enough so they have to be insulting, as if that lend gravitas to their criticisms. But, that is what usenet has wrought.

Reply to
Ross Garrett