330xi Front Differential failure

Well, had a bad/weird thing happen Friday. Just started downhill from Timberline lodge about a mile coasting in 4th at around 40mph, and *apparently* my front differential failed catastrophically with a big BANG
and caused the front wheels to completely lock up. Scary!
100 feet later, after skidding and hopping, I'm completely immobile in the middle of the lane. (It stopped nice and straight, but my fronts are probably flat-spotted.) The rear wheels rotated when being winched onto the flatbed, so that probably eliminates the transfer case.
Anyone else had similar thing happen? I'm guessing an easy $2500 to replace/fix - any idea if that is a good guess?

Got a call from my indy shop: $1700 parts, 3.5 hours labor - their rate is around $110 per hour IIRC.
FloydR
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:23:13 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"

Wow, sounds impressive!
Don't you have any comeback on BMW for that? Surely a 330xi can't be that old.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

125K. And it's had new Redline every 30K, starting at 60K. I'm the original owner.
FloydR

Wow, that really sucks. I feel for you man.