335i is sweet looking with all wheel drive and twin turbos

na its the Audi RS4 4.2 V8 400hp for me still...........

Reply to
StsAlive

I have been patiently waiting for the M3. I was at the dealer inquiring about the 335. I could have this car in September.. Or I can wait about another year for the M. Decisions.....

I think that I will wait until September, where I can inspect the vehicle closely and take it for a drive. I probably will still wait for the M3.

The real decision is who gets to drive the new M3 or 335....

I have 2003 Z4 which is really a weekend car. My wife a 2003 3 series and I have 2004 Jeep Wrangler.

The Jeep we really need to keep. It is a great vehicle to be able to take anywhere. We don't care if we rag it out. The 3 series is a nice car that I would still like to own. It really is the best car we own. The Z4, well it's still practically new. It is going to take me a year to figure out which car to cut loose.

Reply to
Jean-Paul Lanaux

The main problem with this and any other E90 3 Series is the RUNFLAT TIRES. These tires don't handle well, (notice none of the M cars have runflats), wear fast, and will cost you $400 each to replace.

Further, BMW is failure to offer a "spare tire" is obnoxious and another reason why I won't buy one of these things!

Reply to
bfd

Hmm. I'm getting 32,000+ miles and great handling out of the OEM Bridgestone 050A run-flats on my Z4. My local tire shop will replace them for $250 each including mounting & balancing. My only complaint is that the ride is not as compliant as it could be, although E90 magazine tests seem to indicate a good ride with run-flats on the E90.

I would prefer that run-flats were optional, but you can always replace them with conventional rubber & carry a plug kit. Seems like a pretty poor excuse for not considering a new 3 series to me.

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

runflats also severely increase damage from pot holes... a friend that works for mercedes advised that they are stopping their use because of wheel damage issues

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

If you are getting 32,000 miles tread wear, you either drive very gently or these are NOT performance tires or both. That kind of mileage from the soft compound used in performance tires just does not happen.

Secondly, that $250 replacement cost is nice until you realize you pay it every time you get a flat. Then, what is a free repair at most tire shops becomes a @250 expense. You do the math: free (or at most a few dollars) vs. $250...every time.

These things are a bad idea vs. even a space-saver spare, but they fall quite in line with BMW's recent kick (like no dip stick on the E90's) of assuming their customers hate touching their cars, other than the interior.

Reply to
Charles U' Farley

It is too bad when a manufacturer makes a vehicle that you probably would like w/o the run flat and loses the customer because they do not provide an option of non run flats.

This doesn't bother me because I have the run flats on the Z4 and I have NOT had a flat. Ask me again after I have gotten a flat!

Imagine getting a flat with less than 1000 miles on a tire.......

My solutions:

Keep a spare in the garage so that I can drive home with the flattened tire and swap it out. Now I have time to decide to repair/replace the damaged tire.

Keep a plug kit in the car with a pump. Fix the tire (if possible and convienent w/o driving too many miles) I have checked with some experts who think it is possible to plug a run flat.

I have been uneasy about the whole run flat bs, but I have just accepted it.

Reply to
Jean-Paul Lanaux

Mmm, the run flat debate - again! Cannot say I notice a ride / handling problem with the run flats, I have factory fit Continental SSR's. But then I am one of those people who got tired of DIY car maintenance years ago and the idea of not having to get out the car to change a flat in the rain is very appealing, plus there is the safety aspect of run-flats. Get a blow-out at high speed and it's not hard to keep control of the vehicle and slow down. I'm also not interested in "race track" driving, if I wanted (had time for!) that I'd buy a Z4 or a new M3 when it's available, I'm in an E91. I need a tire that gives me good all weather performance. I think BMW have read there market well here. Sounds an M3 with regular tyres for better "race track" performance is for you.

Reply to
AGH!

I hear that the Z4s come stock with run flats. Not sure about the new M3's

Reply to
Fred W

I guess the question is how many miles do you have on your Z4? Have you driven any distance? One problem is if you drive far and are out in the middle of nowhere and you get a flat. Don't be surprised if that tire cost ya $400 and you have to stay in a hotel overnight.

This is a good point. But, again if you're far from home, it isn't going to help.

Can runflats be "plugged?" I was under the impression that once damaged, you need a new tire. Would a better solution be to get one of those M-mobility kits?

Let's hope run flats aren't the TRX of the 21st century!

Reply to
bfd

What I've wondered is what "run flat" people do in the Winter? I have two complete sets of tires/wheels that I swap Spring and Fall. This means you need a spare in the Winter!

Reply to
dizzy

Umm... It says nothing about the 335i having AWD. It's the 328xi that has AWD.

Reply to
dizzy

The Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST is an H rated run-flat.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

I guess they don't consider the M3 a 3-Series coupe...or maybe it has less than 300 hp?

Reply to
Charles U' Farley