3G EWS Alarm on an E36

Keyfob works ok, the led lights up ok, having changed the battery
The alarm LED in the car flashes when the ignition is swtiched on.
The alarm was working, but the battery has been disconnected from the
car, and a new batteryt has been placed in the keyfob.
Now the alarm doesn't work. The Keyfob doesn't set/unset the alarm.
Any ideas how to get them talking again!
Any help appreciated.
Cliff.
Don't think the LED should flash when the ignition is switched on, this may indicate a fault(?).
Do you have the factory system (three buttons on key fob) or a dealer fit system (red and grey button on key fob)? My manual lists a reset procedure for the factory fit but no proc. for the dealer fit. (Which is what I've got!)