5 Series Satnav Query

I'm looking at the new 5 series on the BMW (UK) site. They offer a choice of either Satnav - Business or Satnav - Professional.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two?

Thanks

Martin

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat

No idea but one could be CD based and the Business that I have in my E65 730d Se is DVD based. The CD version uses (I think) 5 or 7 CDs whereas the DVD version uses 1 DVD that covers the whole of Euroland without swapping discs when you move into a different area.

I find it absolutely fantastic so I suggest that you go for the business setup and get the DVD version - apparently the DVD updates cost nearly £300 each so must be worth it.

On criticism though you cannot program it from outside the car on a PC and no speed camera locations and updates only via DVD.

Reply to
Oscar

Thanks for the prompt reply - much appreciated.

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat

I think one is with a full map display and the other is just an arrow display

Reply to
Steve Garey

BMW responded to my query. The reply is copied below.

They are both DVD based systems but the professional version has a bigger\split screen. It also has a 3D map a la Tomtom.

HTH

Martin

******************************************************************************* Thank you for you email to BMW Customer Information.

Firstly may I apologise for the delay in responding to your previous email.

Business Navigation has a 6.5" colour display screen and is a DVD based navigation system with detailed coverage of Europe. Navigation directions are shown by a 2-D map, directional arrows and voice output.

Business Navigation includes TMC (Traffic Messaging Channel), a traffic monitoring device which will show any traffic problems on screen, and show an alternative route. Please see the picture of Business Navigation below:

Professional Navigation is a far more detailed system, on a larger (16:9) screen (the map size is 8:8). This system has full navigation capabilities, displayed on a high colour 3-D map. The screen has split functionality, meaning the map and other info such as audio settings can be displayed at the same time.

Professional Navigation includes TMC (Traffic Messaging Channel), a traffic monitoring device which will show any traffic problems on screen, and show an alternative route. Please see the following picture, which shows TMC and the larger screen display:

Both Navigation systems have the ability to display local information such as Hotels, Petrol Stations and many more POI's (Points of Interest).

Professional Navigation can be put onto the vehicle as an option or can be specified as part of the Media package. The media package is a £2365 option, which compromises of Bluetooth Phone Preparation, 6 Disc CD Changer, BMW Assist, Voice Control and Professional Navigation.

Business Navigation is only available as an option and not part of the media package.

If specified as an option, Business Navigation is £1265 and Professional Navigation is £1825. ******************************************************************************

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat