525i Electric Fan Question

My '92 525i electric fan doesn't seem to work...even after driving on a hot day and stopping, the fan never goes on. If it idles for awhile, the heat
gauge starts to move up and once again, the electric fan never kicks on. How can I test the fan and if it has to be replaced, is it a difficult job (for a dummy like me).

Typically it has to get nearly to red, which does not happen very often on BMW.
Doesn't your car have a fan that is driven by the fan belt(s)? Mine does, but I have the 3 Series not the 5.
If you have a fan that is driven by the belt(s), then your fan clutch is toast. The clutch is a viscous coupling (VC) that grabs the fan when the engine temps increase, and this causes the fan to pull air through the radiator faster. When the car is moving, then air is pushed through the radiator pretty efficiently because of themovement, but when the car is stopped, then the fan is needed. If the VC is not working properly, then the engine will heat up while the car is stopped, then the temp will drop again as your speed increases, assuming you drive normally.

Seems quite common on older BM for the auxiliary or a/c fan to stop working. On mine it's quite obvious that the motor has siezed. The fan is very stiff to turn. Another possible reason for it not coming on, is a burnt out fan resister.

One of the dedicated BMW websites, can't think of which one offhand, explains how to remove and check the fan and resistor on a 5 series. Mike.

On the E39, it's pretty common. The acid test is to switch on the AC - it should then run continuously. Dunno about the E34.
Most commonly it's the motor itself that fails or seizes. Although it should be easy enough to 'hot wire' it and bypass the sensors and relays, etc.
I'm sure if you do a search of the various forums you'll find instructions for changing it.
--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

In wrote:

Had the AC on all of the tim eon our recen thot spell here in the UK. My electric fans cuts in and out quite regularaly when the car is at idle. Car is a 1993 E34 525i 24V.
Did have the electric fan, resistor pack, and most of the AC system replaced last year, and the system is working like a dream.
Jason Russell