525i sump pan gasket

About to start my summer project working on the 95 525i bought a few months ago. A few years ago, I did the sump pan seal on a 86 325es. I threw away the pan gasket and used Permatex blue silicon sealant. It
is still dry today. I borrowed the idea from the SAAB 9k's I owned. On all machined surfaces, the 9k uses only sealant, not gasket. BMW seems different.
Anyone not use the pan gasket on his M50 engine?