525xi AWD or X5?!

Hi,
I have a tough decision to make right now. Should I go buy/lease 525xi AWD or X5? For the similar options, X5 is around $5k cheaper.
Questions:
1. Does 525xi provide the same driving experience as X5 on slippery road/HWY?
2. I don't drive much on business days. Top $8-10k miles a year. 3. Should I buy or lease? 4. What's your take?
Thanks a lot!

Yes. It now has the same xDrive that the X5/X3 does.

For much better mileage and handling in the 3600 lb 525xi, you're trading worse performance and mileage and the older motor in the 4600 lb X5. I'd go 525xi in a heartbeat, even with the additional cost.
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Thanks a lot!
Ye, probably I will go with 525xi also. Start to look around....
The last description of the X5 I read called it an "embarassingly ugly pile of junk".
I don't think they are "junk".
wrote

Floyd Rogers wrote:

Basically all 5 series have xDrive. What's the difference between 525 xi FWD and AWD? Thanks,

No BMW is FWD. If you mean RWD, then the difference is a center electronically controlled differential, a front diff and half-shafts. Total weight is around 225-250 lbs IIRC.
BTW, I have a '01 330xi and, with snow tires, it's unstoppable in the snow.
FloydR

This doesn't sound like a recommendation the way I read it ;)
--

jeremy

ouch.