5281 suspension problem

just got in to my 1999 528i touring at the shops drove out the car park and there was a slight bang and the whole rear end of the car is now down to the
bump stops however for the last week there has been a slight hissing sound at the rear passenger side any ideas please
says...

You have the self-levelling rear suspension?
If so, not any more.
It is "air suspension" apparently extremely reliable but expensive to repair when it does go wrong (so I am led to believe).
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]
Jeremy wrote:

Actually - not all that expensive or difficult to repair - it's an air suspension, not hydraulic as the older BMs were.
The airbag/spring on that side has gone blooey (tech-term) - people have replaced these in their driveway - but on a lift would be lots easier. The bags list for someplace around $200.. can probably be gotten cheaper with a bit of searching.
yep you were both right passenger side air bag had blown about a 4 inch split (lucky i wasnt doing motorway speed when it happened). New air bag 100 and it took 1/2 hour to remove and 20 mins to replace on the drive way really easy to do many thanks all
dale hammond