530i front suspension

I have a bad shudder noise coming from front right suspension over small and large bumps. I know the car needs new shocks, but this affects steering -- like bump-steer and redirection over unevenness.
Any known issues with this vehicle, or just due for a steering/suspension overhaul?
If it's the latter, is there any way to improve the handling while retaining ride height and quality, or is the factory set up pretty much as good as that gets?
This is a '95, 5-speed, unmodified, elderly driver.
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f
http://www.bmwe34.net /
the 2 best sites for your exact car. front end parts are often problematic for an e34, search there for your issue, you will find tons of info, we talk about your exacty issue at least twice a week!

It almost certainly needs new upper and lower control arms (ball joints). They almost always need replacement in the 100-125K miles range. Might as well replace the strut cartridges while you're at it. Best method of tightening the car up is to go for stiffer cartridges than the Boge OEM.
If you have the original 205/65R15 tires, go to the 225/60R15 size, too.
FloydR '91 525i
Blown front shocks, or more specifically, one blown front shock, will cause a violent shudder when hitting bumps.
Start there, as you already acknowledge that they are bad, and go further if you have to.
Brett Anderson KMS - Koala Motorsport

BTW - You can take Brett's info as gold, he has enough experience to know!