540i Humm in the front at speed of 80-120KM

I need some insight into what I may have done, need to fix.

Last week I was caught out on some ice, and slid at about 5km/h into a curb sideways. There was absolutely no detectable damage to the alignment or drive train - The car runs perfectly at 160km, straight as an arrow and quiet as a church mouse.

The noise has no beat to it. It is a solid tone hum (Not very loud - But being sensitive to every sound of my car, I notice it). One suggestion that was made was that I may have bent the steel belt of the tire - But I discount this because of the fact that the car tracks and the noise disappears when at 130km.

What I have noticed is that there is a small dent on bodywork (About 2 cm indent) visible when viewed from ground level looking up. The dent is in about the middle of the front door frame along the bottom. There is no change in the door alignment or spacing between the frame and door.

Also - Speaking about the front driver wheel well. The plastic lining was ripped at the front of the tire well about 3/4 of the width across from the outside to in, about 5 cm up from the bottom of the front side mud guard.

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated. I plan to have the car looked at on Monday. I want to have a plan when I speak to the dealer.

I am willing and happy to email photos if that would help.

Thanks

Reply to
George Johnston

Look at the tyres carefully, perhaps the wheel arch lining or mudflap rubs on the tyre?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Turns out that my alignment is off - the ware on the front tire is apparent. Apparently the 5 series is built like a tank, and even though it is still tracking straight as an arrow, the alignment of the tire is off center.

It is a welcome releaf that it is an inexpensive fix. There was a Mercedes at the alignment shop with an identical injury, and he was in for a $3500 fix. Mine was only $79!!!!

Reply to
George Johnston

Since the drivability of the car was not affected, I suspect that you have a situation where airflow is causing some audible "whistling" at whatever frequency it is. If the car is under warranty, then take it to the dealer. If not you may want to try using wide tape and covering any areas that you might suspect, drive the car and see if it goes away. Could be a long process of elimination or you might get lucky soon. I had to do this on another vehicle and it took about 3 tries but I did find the problem and fixed it.

Good Luck

Reply to
tech27