633CSI

Hello, Just acquired my first BMW, 633CSI

1) Can anyone tell me where to find the built date on the car, where is the ID plate?. Any comments on the 633CSI, is it seen as an important part of the BMW family?

Many thanks for your input. Regards, Allan Australia

Reply to
Serco

Welcome to BMW.

6 series was a sweet looking ride in it's time, and still very hot today!

These guys can hook you up...

SharkmanBMW

Very early by the sounds of it. A lot less toys, but therefore less to go wrong. The manual version of this car would be a pleasure, the auto much less so.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Open your door. Look near the latch on the body.

It's one of the earlier E24s. Depending on the year, it could be E12- based or E28-based. A nice coupe.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

Thanks, The Vin number indicates factory build july 1976. Was there much difference between E12 & E28? I am told the 633CSI is seen as the poor brother to the 635. Any comments? Regards, Allan

E28 Guy© wrote:

Reply to
Serco via CarKB.com

Wow! one of the first made. They were actually made by karmann (two nn's?) on behalf of BMW and I'll bet you find their name on a plate somewhere on the bodyshell. They are notorious for rust. Later (1978?) took production back in house.

Lots. Rear suspension is different, brakes are different, dash instruments are totally different, interior and inside door handles are different. The rear bumper is the give away, it doesn't wrap around like post-82 models.

Agreed.

Reply to
John Burns

The way I've seen this said the best is "Jaguar invented rust, Karmann perfected it".

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Back in the early 80's I was the proud owner of a 1977 630csi. I was under the impression that this was the first 6-series model, so I'm a little confused when I read that a 633 was built in '76. Am I mistaken or was mine built even earlier? By the way, it was a rustbucket....replaced both front fenders, got a quote for rear quarterpanels, but the body shop owner (a friend) recommended selling it. Said it was gonna be a never-ending battle against rust. I sold it, but the hook was set, and in '89 bought an '87 L6 which I still have. IMHO there's not a better looking car on the road.......

Reply to
rev

Interesting comments from everyone. The car is in Australia and does not appear to have any rust, probably due to the dryer climate and garaged, only has 160,000km so obviously had an easier life. Yes it does carry a Karmann plate, does this devalue the vehicle or if no rust make it more of a unique car? Thanks everyone for your input Regards, Allan

rev wrote:

Reply to
Serco via CarKB.com

Odds are about 50-50 yours was also built in calendar year 1976. My model year 1988 535is was built July 7, 1987.