733I sunroof motor

I just got an '84 733i for dirt cheap today. At the top of my long list of "little" things to fix is the sunroof. It leaks, and the car has been parked for a long time, therefore the trunk and floor are waterlogged. The sunroof opened up a little bit but wouldn't close, and I suspect that corrosion has seized things up. I was just barely able to manually drive it closed, but it move any more. I discovered that one of the switches for it is actually a circuit breaker, but that was about the time I saw smoke curling out the hole! In order to get at the motor, I have removed everything that I can find to get the roof liner out, but the aft edge seems to be eluding me, unless the sunroof has to be slid back in order to get to the fasteners. If that's the case, I may be screwed. Can someone help me out of this pickle? I'm brand new to BMW's, I will admit up front. I know other cars like the back of my hand, but this is a whole new ballgame to me. It seems that a service manual for the car isn't to be had, unless I don't know where to look. I was given a Chilton's with the car, and that thing sucks, but no Haynes manual is available so it'll have to do, I guess.

Reply to
carl mciver

Glenn W

Don't think they cover this model - too early.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The waterlogging could be a few things. There are drain holes in each corner of the sunroof housing, check they're unblocked. Do NOT force anything down them, if you puch them off you'll need to remove the headlining to get them back on!

Also check the sill drain holes and door drains are unblocked.

You'll need to regrease the drive wire. Do this with gloves on, the grooves on it are very sharp!

Reply to
John Burns

"John Burns" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@unixnerd.demon.co.uk... | > I just got an '84 733i for dirt cheap today. At the top of my long list | > of "little" things to fix is the sunroof. It leaks, and the car has been | > parked for a long time, therefore the trunk and floor are waterlogged. The | > sunroof opened up a little bit but wouldn't close, and I suspect that | > corrosion has seized things up. I was just barely able to manually drive it | > closed, but it move any more. I discovered that one of the switches for it | > is actually a circuit breaker, but that was about the time I saw smoke | > curling out the hole! In order to get at the motor, I have removed | > everything that I can find to get the roof liner out, but the aft edge seems | > to be eluding me, unless the sunroof has to be slid back in order to get to | > the fasteners. If that's the case, I may be screwed. Can someone help me | > out of this pickle? | | The waterlogging could be a few things. There are drain holes in each | corner of the sunroof housing, check they're unblocked. Do NOT force | anything down them, if you puch them off you'll need to remove the | headlining to get them back on! | | Also check the sill drain holes and door drains are unblocked. | | You'll need to regrease the drive wire. Do this with gloves on, the | grooves on it are very sharp!

I plan on lubricating everything, once I get it apart. What does it take to get the thing apart in this situation? Right now I taped up the roof joint to keep any more moisture out (it rains a lot near Seattle) while I dry out the rest of the car and work on everything else that needs fixing. I plan on trying again before too long. Since I think I smoked the motor, I'm getting another one, but getting to that is my second issue. How do I remove the liner between the windshield and the sunroof? I took out the mirror, visors, and it will move around up front but not in the back (are there fasteners that require the sunroof to be open?) but it seems that there's more than just that holding it in. All I can do with the sunroof is to tilt it up. That's it. Is this enough to get the liner off? I can get the very back off, where there is a channel that rides on pins, but the front I don't know about. I read something about four pins that hold it in, but I don't know how I can pull on it to get these loose. I have an tool for door panels and such that could pull on the liner, but I want to feel comfortable pulling on it before I start tearing stuff up.

Reply to
carl mciver