740iL going into storage?

I have a 1998 740iL that I plan to retire to our Florida condo. It will be driven only four or five weeks out of the year when my wife and/or I are there. What should I do to keep this car happy during the
time it is sitting idle? I suspect one thing is, disconnect the battery. Any reason NOT to do that? Anyone have experience with quick-disconnect products? All advice and comments welcome!

I live in Florida year round. You could leave it with me and my 98 740iL and 97 M3. I'll drive it periodically for you to make sure it stays happy. I also do most of my own repairs, so if it needs any TLC, I'll take care of that for you as well.
Kyle. 98 740iL 97 M3
snipped-for-privacy@netapp.com wrote:

You would need to put gas stabilizer in it and put the battery on a trickle charger (a smart one that knows when to stop charging). Even then you're going to have trouble with the rotors rusting and the other effects of it being idle. Cars don't like to sit unused.
I saw a mini-van camper here in Ottawa recently. It had heavy vinyl covers over each wheel. The owner said it helped keep the rust down during winter storage.

Richard Tomkins wrote:

That is not what those covers are for. They are to limit the UV exposure of the tires. Tires on RVs tend to dry rot due to the UV before you can wear them out. Shading them from the sun will extend their life some. Parking in a garage does the same thing.
-Fred W
JimV wrote:

I would assume that it would be in storage in a dry garage, in which case rust on the rotors will not be a problem.
I also would not disconnect the battery, instead just put the car on a battery tender (special trickle charger for long term storage) that will periodically recharge it but not constantly so it won't cook it.
Also, the OP will want to increase the tire pressure to the max (as stated on the sidewalls) for the duration of each storage to help limit flatspotting. Either that, or jack the car up at all 4 corners and put it on jackstands.
Fred W

Just let me keep it here in my garage in Texas. I'd be happy to garage it for you, keep it cleaned up and make sure it gets driven everyday. When you need I'll bring it to you and not even charge you for it. :-)
Put it up on some form of jack to keep the tires from denting.

Long periods of non-use can be very bad and ask for trouble. For example we used to store a Corvette through Michigan winters. As a result, the water pump failed (and took an ignition module with is) in under 12,000 miles. If you are going to do this, at least use a storage-type trickle charger. These things are very small and can only put out a few amps. They're are not meant to charge a battery, just keep it charged and they work great. Some even claim to desulfate the plates.

it needs to be started every month and run w/ ac for 30-60 minutes -- its good for it

Somehting like this will do http://www.batterytender.com /
I dont really buy into the BS on the home page, but this is the type of product to look for.

motorcycle and the battery has lasted 6 years. Since it cycles off when the battery is fully charged, it's a no-brainer connect & forget. Great product.
Tom
Get a trickle charger from BMW. Don't disconnect the battery. Keep the tires inflated at all times. The trickle charger will maintain the battery and not disconnecting it will keep all the settings intact. Do not just start it up for a while. If you or someone is going to start it up, make sure you drive it till it gets to full operating temperature for at least 15 minutes or more.

How long can the tires sit before they start to crack? Would it be better to put the car on jack stands so the tired are just off the ground and then lower the pressure about halfway?
Are critters an issue in Florida? would it be a good idea to tape the tail pipe?
What about oil? Does this car require synthetic oil? how would the oil hold up to sitting for that long?